Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is John from Naperville, a nice, quiet, and kid friendly suburban town about 25-30 miles west from Chicago (the distance would vary depending on which part of Chicago you are going to/coming from ;).

I came to the States 23 years ago when I was in high school. I still remember that Saturday morning... I turned on a TV, and they were playing New Yankee Workshop. I don't even remember what Norm had made in that episode, but I do remember me thinking to myself; "Wow.. this guy has a lot of tools..." LOL! That moment I have become a fan of the show, and I always have been.

Last year I finally got myself (actually my wife got me) a Delta contractor table saw - I picked up a display model from Menards with a little bit of discount (if you live in Naperville area and have noticed that the Delta table saw they had on the floor had suddenly disappeared one day, yes it was my doing).

Since then, I was able to use this saw to make a small rack mount box for my sound effect and guitar gears, a big rack mount cabinet to house the PA instruments and gears for my church, and.. well, that's about it. :( Oh, I recently used my tools to make a pinewood derby car...

So… not counting the cuts I have made for calibration and testing purpose, I think I have made less than 20 cuts using my TS, mostly MDF sheets and a few pine blocks. LOL I think my dad, who lives across the street, has been using my saw more than I have. Oh well, at least my investment on this saw was not a total waste thanks to him.

It is tough to find time with a day job and 3 year old (almost) boy always wanting to go out and play with me. However, someone has warned me that things will only get worse as he grows up, until he goes off to a college.

Hmm… well, considering how long it took me to get myself a table saw that I desired from the time I watched Norm cutting a piece of hardwood blocklike cutting butter with a hot knife with his… like 20+ years, I guess I can say my passion for woodworking is something that gets materialized/realized very gradually over a long period of time...

So, at this rate I should be able to start working on the kitchen cabinets that I told my wife I would make (yeah, that's why she bought me the saw; I still can't believe she actually felt for that) by the time my son goes to a college. Yep, in about 15 years. I just love it when everything lines up perfectly timing wise.

I am sorry that I got a little carried away and ended up writing this long. I hope I didn’t violate any rules or common etiquettes. I’ve joined the forum a few days ago (but I have been reading some articles/postings here before though, for the tool reviews mostly), and I am looking forward to making friends, getting good (and bad?) advices, and reading/hearing about the accomplishments and mistakes other woodworkers have made – I think it will be the next best thing to do, when I can’t find time to be in the shop and working on wood myself. J

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice to meet you, fellow newcomer here myself. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
(if you live in Naperville area and have noticed that the Delta table saw they had on the floor had suddenly disappeared one day, yes it was my doing)...... J
The Delta Contractors Saw is an excellent saw. Just about every large cabinet shop owns at least one or 2 of them.

Going back about 35 years ago or so, I was in a bar in Naperville called The Captains Table (I think). Anyway, I didn't start the fight and unfortunately, I didn't finish it either. Me and a friend collected quite a beating from a group of local guys.

BTW, Welcome to the forum from Houston, Tx. area

1 - 4 of 4 Posts