Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am really looking forward to learning from the people on this site. I am 48 years old and just recently decided to put my toe in the woodworking waters. I am learning quickly that once you put your toe in it's not long before the whole body follows.

Back when I was just a little guy, I remember my grandfather letting me watch him in his little basement workshop as he built all kinds of projects. I would watch for hours. It all seemed like magic. He was kind and patient and tried to teach me all that he was doing. I was about 5 at the time so not much of the information stuck, but there was just something about watching him work his magic that stuck in my memory. I didn't even realize it at the time but it planted in me a deep desire to do what he was doing.

He died when I was 7 and there was no one left to teach me. My dad (rest his soul) did not receive the "woodworking gene" from grandfather and therefor couldn't help me a bit. So the dream kind of died but the desire never did.

Over the years I would buy the occassional woodworking book, browse through the lumber yards and hardware stores, and yes, I became addicted to "good old Norm" on television (now there is a guy in my opinion who can work magic. But I just didn't know enough or have the confidence to get started. Until now.

So that brings me here. I am brand new to actually "doing" woodworking, but the desire has been there for more than 40 years. I look forward to hopefuly learning from some of you who have "the woodworking gene."

I look forward to meeting and getting to know you.

Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Tom,
Welcome to the forum. Browse around and enjoy yourself. My father also was the opposite of handy. I remember sitting at his house watching Norm build some little decorative table. When the show ended, my dad said, 'can't be that hard to make, only took him a half hour.' Start out with some simple projects to get your feet wet. If you have a friend of somebody local, see if they'll let you come over and hang out. Good way to learn. Also check and see if you have any local clubs in your area that are wood related. They can be a lot of fun and a good resource for hands on learning. Good luck, hope you can swim.....
Mike Hawkins:smile:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Welcome Tom5151 to the forum. Take a tour of the site, there is some good reading here.

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Welcome, Tom, if you want to learn about wood, you can't help but learn something here. There's a lot of talented folks on this forum (then, there's also a few wood hacks, like myself). It's a great place to ask a question and learn from other's experience. If you're new to the hobby, don't hesitate - just jump right in and flounder around in the pool like me.

Be sure and post some pics of your projects.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome Tom,
We're all here for learning...that's why we're here. But... the only way to make anything happen is to dig in and "give'er a go"...

If you're wondering, the experience base here is staggering. These folks can take you from a rookie to an expert in knowledge. But, as you know from your grandfather, working with the wood is the key. So dig in and let's start.... :smile:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Welcome Tom

My grandfather was an industrial teacher back in the day in good old Jersey. Made very good $$$ [even today teachers in Jersey make good $$] and loved what he did both as a job and hobby.

He made a lot of items with his bare hands and some tools.

My father took some of that desire and put it to use as well.

Now I carry the torch [at this time it is the spirit type]

Lots of friendly banter here and good info from reading up

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome Tom. You will find a lot of good info here. I wasn't blessed with the "woodworking gene" either. My dad couldn't cut a straight line if his life depened on it. But I read everything I could, subscribed to some good mags and watched every Norm episode I could. Keep trying and learn from your mistakes. Send in some pics of projects you complete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts