Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I have to start by saying this is a wonderful forum, i've been doing a ton of reading and there's an immense amount of info here. The wealth of knowledge and the readiness to share it is so amazing.

Well, I a newbie to woodworking. I've been wanting to start for years and now that i have my own home and a garage though small, i can finally get started in earnest. There are probably a number of first projects i should do (like a proper workbench) but I decided to try and make a drafting table.

This is something i came up with though i probably saw something like it sometime or another. I could use some help on the design. Sorry for not including the dimensions, haven't learned how to add it to the drawing. it took me a week just learn SketchUp and draw this up. it will be approx. 36" tall and have a glass top (not shown).
The table top (in green) is meant to be tilted down between 0,5 or 10 deg. from level.

There is 1 x 3, 4, or 6 stock poplar or red oak at Home Depot here. I designed it using lap joints for the upright supports and where the table top meets the support. Does any know if this will be strong enough (drafting table 2a.jpg)?

I have a bunch more questions but it seems to me that this maybe the most important one as i might have to redesign the whole thing.

thanks,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the site jcng722!
Looks like it would be strong enough to me. I would use glue and screws to assemble. Will the support brace have adjustable stops for adjusting the top?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts