Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, brand new member. I am brand-new to woodworking and do not have a shop or anything at the moment, but trying to read and learn as much as I can for when I do finally get a shop. I am currently twenty-nine years-old, unemployed and living with my mom at the moment (long story short, I have had a major disability chemically that I am getting treatment for right now so that I can hopefully get on my feet and make a life for myself soon) and am into learning about making things overall, so I am also reading about machining, welding, electronics, etc...I may see about taking some courses in the woodworking and machining.

I love architecture and furniture, and hope to become skilled at cabinetmaking and fine furniture making, including Boulle marquetry someday. I would love to someday create custom architectural furniture that is of styles that haven't yet been designed.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Never sure if I should leave the 'welcomes' to the senior members or if its ok for me to issue a welcome so I hope I am not stepping on any toes when I say "Welcome" Kyl.
Some great guys on this forum and most give great advice. Don't be shy about participating in the threads you are interested in. Ask questions. Its OK if your tools are not top of the line as long as they are functional for your purposes. You can always upgrade once you get going.
Most important, have fun.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Come on in!
It's nice in here.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We can answer any question you have about woodworking because if we don't actually know the answer, we'll just make s*** up (well, OK *I* do that ... some of the guys actually know what they are talking about)

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
Welcome, from SoCal!

For equipment, I'd recommend looking for a used Shopsmith...but I recommend that to anybody starting out. Lathe, tablesaw, horizontal and vertical drill presses, disc sander are all standard. Attachments available (and often included with used machines) include a really nice bandsaw, a nice scroll saw, 4" jointer/planer, 6" belt sander, 1.5" strip sander, biscuit (plate) cutter...etc. Later on, if you need a higher quality table saw (Shopsmiths weakest tool, still very functional though), the SS will always be a great full size drill press and sander.

New, $5,000 with accessories. I've picked up used units from craigslist for as little as a hundred bucks with an attachment or two I wanted...just for the attachment that's worth much more. I have a couple of extra machines, if you happen to be in SoCal (not likely) I'm happy to share.

No matter what, if you have time to watch for a while and look up tools you see on craigslist in your area (on review sites and forums), you'll build a knowledge base...and within weeks you'll see "the deal", a tool that's reviewed well and at an amazingly low price...then you get a tool you know about at a price you know is great.

No matter what, explore and enjoy working with wood

James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts