Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. A little about myself and why I am here. I am an Army Vet with past hobbies of building cafe racer motorcycles, landscaping, and buying and selling many different types of goods. I have current hobbies of hunting and gardening mostly. I am trying to reorganize my hobbies to avoid things that take me away from my home so I can spend more time with my 19 month old Daughter. Been in kind of a slump recently with nothing to do with my spare time and I happened across a nice Miter Saw for free from a friend. This started the wheels-a-turnin and looking into woodworking as a hobby! That was about a week and a half ago. Since then I have acquired from family and friends a router, table saw, many hand held tools, a wood burner tool, and a whole bunch of scraps from everything from walnut to tiger wood. I have a long ways to go to tackle my "wishlist" but things are moving very fast and I have not even had to spend a dime yet so I am very happy. My first projects I plan to do is some Adirondack chairs for the in-laws. I figured the designs are relatively simple and the cuts are not to crazy in comparison to some of the things I have done building motorcycles. These chairs also leave me with flexibility within the designs to get creative with inlays and routing out edges and what not to really hone in my skills. I will make sure to leave pics when I get them.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Hello All,

Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. A little about myself and why I am here.

I am an Army Vet with past hobbies of building cafe racer motorcycles, landscaping, and buying and selling many different types of goods. I have current hobbies of hunting and gardening mostly. I am trying to reorganize my hobbies to avoid things that take me away from my home so I can spend more time with my 19 month old Daughter.

Been in kind of a slump recently with nothing to do with my spare time and I happened across a nice Miter Saw for free from a friend. This started the wheels-a-turnin and looking into woodworking as a hobby! That was about a week and a half ago. Since then I have acquired from family and friends a router, table saw, many hand held tools, a wood burner tool, and a whole bunch of scraps from everything from walnut to tiger wood.

I have a long ways to go to tackle my "wishlist" but things are moving very fast and I have not even had to spend a dime yet so I am very happy. My first projects I plan to do is some Adirondack chairs for the in-laws. I figured the designs are relatively simple and the cuts are not to crazy in comparison to some of the things I have done building motorcycles. These chairs also leave me with flexibility within the designs to get creative with inlays and routing out edges and what not to really hone in my skills.

I will make sure to leave pics when I get them.
Welcome aboard. Looks like you are off to a good start with a very minimum investment.

Those Adirondack chairs will be a good first project.

George

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Welcome to the site. I see you are from Rochester. I have a few relatives there as I am originally from Cortland myself.

Those Adirondack Chairs will be great. I built 3 last summer. They remind me of great times at my Grandparents farm in Marathon, NY as my Grandma had a few there when I was a kid.

Learn to use the "Search" function of this site and you will find lots of useful information.

And don't forget to post pictures of your project. After all, according to this site, if you don't post pictures you didn't actually build it.

Mark

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the daughter. It's good to spend time with kids. Thanks for your service... now build those chairs

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome from Oregon. The chairs will make an excellent first project. Lots of room to customize, we all like pics...ken

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to you also phiferindia - but try posting your own new welcome thread so more folks will see you. I'm sure Gotspiccoli doesn't mind sharing, but this is his or her thread.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
How's that for diplomacy.

Well said

1 - 15 of 15 Posts