Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself and my work. I just stumbled across this forum the other day. It seems pretty active here! Anyways, here's some pics of my turnings, if they can be called turnings anymore, lol.

The tall hollow form, is American Elm, and I've just started working on it.:blink:

Then there's the Ash "turnip" shaped thing

And the Pecan "clawfoot"

And lastly the Tulip Poplar vase

I do some more normal turnings as well, like bowls and rolling pins and other hollow forms without legs. I'm looking forward to meeting you folks! Hope you enjoy the weird bowls, haha.:smile:

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, thanks guys! i have a weird imagination:smile: Just now finished turning the lid for the elm piece. Once i get it carved, i'll post a pic or two. It'll be weeks away though. It's sloooowww work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just now joined, so I guess if anyone from here lurks around there, you'll see my same post soon, haha. I've wondered if joining the AAW would actually help me get a foot in the door in some galleries. Maybe someone there will know, thanks!

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Very cool. You've gotta give us at least a clue how you make something like those. How much of it is done on the lathe and in what order?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Dave Just joining won't get you in galleries but there are so many knowledgeable people there who are willing to help. Just ask. Even better go to one of the symposiums and bring work like you have. The gallery people come to these events.

·
4Woodturning
352 Posts
Very cool, talking about thinking outside the box, Dave you done it, Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry, but it's a trade secret! lol, not really. All i do, when i'm making a hollow form, let's take the tall elm one for instance. I mount it between centers, and rough out the shape. I go ahead and try and design it in 3rds, cause it looks better imo. So the top third, is the actual hollow form itself. I have to have a good idea what it's going to look like first. I then apply myself to the bottom 2/3, or, the leg portion. You can see in the pic, that i figured out where the top of the legs would be, and how i wanted them to curve inward and then flare back out towards the bottom.

Now that the leg area is rough turned, i then turn a tenon on the top of the hollow form, for my chuck to grab.(before turning the "orb") I then remove the tailstock from the lathe, and set up my steady rest. I mount the piece in the chuck, and mount the steady rest right at the bottom of the feet. Then I hollow out the leg area, while trying not to go too deep, or make it too thin or thick, and still keep to the curvature of the outside.

Once that is done, i turn the piece around, mount the bottom end in the chuck, and use the tailstock for the top. I then turn the outside of the hollow form part to whatever looks good (i hope). Then i remove the tailstock again, and install the steady rest around the hollow form, and begin to hollow it out.

After that? It's tough as nails. I draw my design as well as i can on the piece, and use whatever tools i can force to work, to cut out as much waste wood as i can. Then it's all chisels and dremels and die grinders and exacto knives, and many many hours of hand sanding. Did i mention hand sanding? Oh yeah, u must use sandpaper, for a long long time. (but it's a gr8 opportunity for me to sit back by the wood stove, and watch some documentaries out in the shop on the computer:yes:)

When i first started turning, i got tired of sanding regular bowls, lol. Now, when I turn a big salad bowl, and it's done in a couple of hours, i'm thinking "Already done? that was easy!":smile: I've got about 15 hours at least in the elm piece. Probably more. It's so hard to carve!

Hope this answers your question.

With the smaller stuff, that don't have the center in it, like the clawfoot bowl, i merely made the chuck hole deeper, so that i would have wood enough for some type of legs.

It's a different way of looking at turning, for sure. You have to be able to envision a shape, and leave yourself enough wood to make it happen. Then stay committed, when your hands hurt, and your dremel is belching smoke, the die grinder is too hot to touch, etc haha. Good luck to anyone willing to try it, i look forward to seeing new pieces!

PS: I'm about to start a video series, this week, on youtube, of one of my creations, from start to finish. I'll let you folks know when i upload.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I met an older fellow about 7 years ago, and he was a turner, and carver. He's now my best friend and mentor. I felt like i should show his latest work, it's taken a year, and it's still not done. But the main body is tulip poplar, the lid is sycamore and walnut. The wheels are sycamore, black walnut, w/cherry hubcaps, lol. This guy is amazing. The pic is crap, with my camera phone. I do have some hi-res images of certain parts of this, if you all want to see.(let me know and i'll post them here) Even more incredible in detail. But the other pics were taken before the wheels were finished.

And yes, it's absurd. I agree, and so does he. But it's grand anyway, i think!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That is some beautiful works and I really like your imagination. Please post more and keep us up to date on that you tube video. That'll be a must see on my list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts