Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my shop is 24x33 and I have a PTAC unit that is a heat pump and a/c. I am in GA and the little PTAC never cuts off its constantly running. it gets a little warmer in there but not much. its a insulated steel building with a cement floor. carport style. my question is is one of those propane tank top heaters infrared safe in there with the sawdust and whatnot? when the air is really cold outside the PTAC doesn't produce much heat. I know why so good there. just don't wanna blow the place up from sawdust

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
my shop is 24x33 and I have a PTAC unit that is a heat pump and a/c. I am in GA and the little PTAC never cuts off its constantly running. it gets a little warmer in there but not much. its a insulated steel building with a cement floor. carport style. my question is is one of those propane tank top heaters infrared safe in there with the sawdust and whatnot? when the air is really cold outside the PTAC doesn't produce much heat. I know why so good there. just don't wanna blow the place up from sawdust
The fumes will have a certain amount of carbon monoxide but the size of the building I don't think it would hurt anyone. I've run a 250000 btu propane heater and one of those tubular kerosene heaters with no problem other than sticker shock fueling them. I live in the country where wood is free so I've been heating my shop for years with a wood stove. I have a stove made from a 55 gal drum and my building is 33'x42' with 12' walls. I can heat the building 40 degrees more than what it is outside and living in the south most years is fine.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I DON'T know but I have heard that any of the gas fired infrared heaters produce a lot of moisture.

As I said I DON'T know for sure just repeating what I've heard.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Ever consider a electric space heater for backup?
I had a home up north in Illinois and when it hit 0 deg outside the house wouldn't stay warm. We bought 2 of those 1800w electric radiator type space heaters to keep the home temped up to 70 degrees.
Yes, they are inefficient but also they are a temporary measure, and only for a handful of days a year.

Otherwise I don't know what you can do aside from re-doing the whole system.

How well is your shop insulated?????

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The risk of an explosion from sawdust is so remote you shouldn't worry about it. The dust would have to be so thick you couldn't breathe. That said, any unvented LP heater is going to release a fair amount of moisture. But it may only be a problem when run for long periods of time. I would think if you just wanted to heat it enough when you're in there you may do quite well with one of those. One thing: finishing fumes from the more volatile finishes (like lacquer) can be very hazardous with an open flame. Warm the room up, then shut if off if you plan to use it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
have you thought of a small furnace? i bought one called Mr. Heater. it has a 45000btu rating and heats my garage easily. it runs on natural gas, but the make them to run on propane also.

the flame is enclosed, so explosion risk should be zero....and you can run the chimney out either straight up or sideways.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I have a 32x32 shop and a pellet stove does an excellent job, there is a flame but its not open. I use dust collection and my shop stays fairly dust free. There is dust but not something you would woork about as a fire hazard. You don't have to get a high dollar pretty stove, something like you would put in your family room. They work good of a thermostat. I keep mine on 50 degrees, which when I turn it to 75 it takes about an hour and it there. You can also put enough to run the day and shut it down.Propane and electric way to expensive. Natural gas or pellet the only way to go. If your building new put the plumbing and insulation in the concrete and get a small natural gas boiler. But cheapest and fastest is the pellet stove

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have an Ashley wood heater in my 28 x 28 shop. My shop has a partition in the center that divides the assembly side and dust making side. I have a fan near the top of the partition that sends air to the dusty side, and in 30 minutes I can have the shop between 55-60F depending on the outside temp. I don't go out there if the temp is below freezing. I wait till 45F before I go. I know, I just hate cold weather.

Mostly I use the scraps from my projects to fuel the heater, but I also have some stacked wood from a tree in my yard that got trimmed, and I did buy half a cord two years ago that I use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been using a unvented blue flame gas heater for the last 8 years. It heats my 30 X 20 well insulated garage space to plus 70 when the outside temp is around 0. It does not run continuously but goes off and on. It does have a small fan. I have no moisture problems. I do not spray in the shop../

1 - 9 of 9 Posts