Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with Hearne Hardwoods? I have inquired about wood from them a couple times in the past and found their prices to be very high. I thought I would give them another try as I needed some dry Pink ivory. I never got my question answered as to how dry a couple pieces they had were. All they told me was that it was not kiln dried. The last email from them conveyed their annoyance with my dryness question. Needless to say my experiences with them have been less than positive

·
7,222 Posts
I have visited Hearne Hardwoods. No experience in mail order.

The place is huge, and likely they are accustomed to large orders.

Forum member Gideon is a frequent visitor and customer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps you are right, they dont want to deal with a small time woodworker such as myself. Maybe I should have told them I was planning to buy 1000 board feet of wood

·
7,222 Posts
By the way, most of the exotic woods are not kiln dried some are not dried at all.

It is common for small turning blanks to be completely sealed in wax.

I have some pink ivory blanks which are like this.

Any time I get a piece which is sealed, it is likely best to assume it has high moisture.

If you are concerned about moisture, I would get a moisture meter. Good for the surface moisture, but internal moisture will be higher.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I have a moisture meter. That does me little good if the piece I purchase will need to be used within the next couple months and it requires a couple years to dry. Kiln drying just tells me it was dried in a kiln. I could have been air dried over time. I purchase wood online a lot and always find out how dry it is when it is not kiln dried. Especially with burl turning blocks, the seller will have pieces they have had sitting around for years that are relatively dry. Would you purchase hardwood for a project such as a small box or a small piece of furniture with no idea of its moisture content?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Don't know about that place, but if you're still looking for online ordering I ordered some purple/yellow heart from www.woodnshop.com. Not sure how their prices compare to others but they had great/friendly customer service! And i only ordered 1 board feet of each

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been there twice, once for a pair of book-matched mahogany crotch panels, the second time for something called Port Orford Cedar that I couldn't find anywhere else (for a soundboard) and a small piece of ebony. They have beautiful wood there but at a premium price.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've never bought exotics from Hearnes but I am out there frequently. They know me at this point.

For the smaller workers like me and hobbyists, they prefer that we come out to select and mill our material and they're very helpful doing that.

Pricing for lumber, I find, to be extremely fair for the low quantities I buy. 4/4 FAS walnut at $5.50 pbf.

Slab pricing is different. Their walnut slabs and flitches are pretty much untouchable for me. I was there a few days ago and saw a slab of walnut which really shouldn't have gone for more than
$125-$150 selling for $575. But I do see this inventory turning over so somebody is buying it.

So, I go there for FAS type lumber. I don't if there is a "reasonably" priced supplier for exotic species. I tend to shy away from those anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since splitting off from his partnership with Groff, I have been to Hearne's place in Oxford, Pa. several times over the years. What I've noticed in that time is a growing focus on higher priced lumber, greater involvement of a younger workforce who seem to focus more on the business end of things rather than in connecting with hobbyist, intermediate woodworkers and their needs. On the other hand, their inventory, particularly exotics, cannot be beat if you are in that market. They are successful as has been pointed out here and like everything else prices do march ever upwards. Fortunately, there are many options out there for good quality, reasonably priced lumber. Have you tried Groff and Groff over south of Lancaster, Pa.? It's been awhile since I have been there but it use to be a good place to look through the stacks and find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Pink Ivory

Have not dealt with them but can tell you that I have gotten good Pink Ivory from West Penn Hardwoods; I think they may still have it on sale. They are slow to ship, but not terrible.

Bandman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts