Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
Your minions rock! That is so cool! With those extra long bodies and short legs, they look like they be chillin in the hood. Word up!

More like "Chillin in the WOOD!"

Steve, these are awesome, and you really cranked them out. I think that these would make really awesome Christmas presents too, for people of all ages. Thanks for posting this, and so early in the year, so that we have time to try to crank out a bunch of them.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,689 Posts
Okay, I finally caught up with this thread. I've been busy and haven't been able to read as much as I would like to. Let me say that these are AWESOME. I just spent some time going through the thread with Mrs Kenbo and we both enjoyed it very much. She really wants you to take the suggestion of doing "Thriller" with the robots. The poses are hilarious and I love how you made all of these in a quick time. A man after my own heart with the time restraints and doing, what seems to be, an impossible task. Awesome work, great final product and just a fun thread. I can tell that you had a "ball" making these. :yes:
Nicely done Steve.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
More like "Chillin in the WOOD!"

Steve, these are awesome, and you really cranked them out. I think that these would make really awesome Christmas presents too, for people of all ages. Thanks for posting this, and so early in the year, so that we have time to try to crank out a bunch of them.
You're right about that. I can promise you that people - young and old - just adore these things. They'd make excellent gifts.

Okay, I finally caught up with this thread. I've been busy and haven't been able to read as much as I would like to. Let me say that these are AWESOME. I just spent some time going through the thread with Mrs Kenbo and we both enjoyed it very much. She really wants you to take the suggestion of doing "Thriller" with the robots. The poses are hilarious and I love how you made all of these in a quick time. A man after my own heart with the time restraints and doing, what seems to be, an impossible task. Awesome work, great final product and just a fun thread. I can tell that you had a "ball" making these. :yes:
Nicely done Steve.
Thank you. I really did have a ball making these. 192 of them, to be exact. :thumbsup:

Alright, alright... I'll see what I can do about the Thriller dance. I've actually, just yesterday, sold one of the 11 un-spoken-for robots. But it's still in my possession until Monday morning, when I must ship it out. So I'll try to get a Thriller picture either tonight or tomorrow, including as many of the robots as possible.

I'll also get pictures when I make the comedic accessories I think I mentioned earlier on. I think you guys will get a kick out of it/them.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If you're familiar with my posting it may not surprise you to be told that I did not get a chance to pose the Thriller shots this weekend. I still have a previous project scattered about on the main workbench. I expected to have gotten them done Sat. But life preempted. I did get closer to done though. But I need to get it done so I can clear the bench again to make room for more photo ops. As soon as I do I'll take care of that. It might be another day or two.

In the meantime, here's what a robot looks like when it has to fit in a USPS medium flat rate shipping box.

Toy woodworking Wood Art Machine

Wood woodworking

The project currently occupying the real estate (AKA dance floor) involves these 8 little birdies. Look for a thread about the "Pecking Chickens" soon.

Finger Food Cuisine

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Not only are those really cool. When I showed the pics of them in different poses to our boys they started to imitate the poses then just started cracking up. You really made me smile with this one, thanks!
Now that's some good stuff right there. Thank you.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
Well, I gotta say it..... I ordered that book today. I definitely plan on making those as gifts, because I know alot WILL enjoy them for many different reasons.

Can't wait to see the Thriller pics!

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I don't think I could ever find the patience to make that many of the same thing at one time. They are so very cool and I had a good laugh at the poses with quotes... great stuff Steve!
Johnnie, you definitely have to be in the zone or it can drive you nuts. And assembly line mentality is the ONLY way to go. In other words, perform all of one step first - if possible - then the next. That's how I've been making all of my bulk items. It'll also keep you committed to the final count when you've already got the process underway.

I've also been making train whistles and 11-piece sets of silly stick mustaches, for example, in the same manner. same with my coin mazes. And i have a lot more planned. If you make each one from start to finish, one at a time, it will be much more tedious and take a lot longer per unit.

Well, I gotta say it..... I ordered that book today. I definitely plan on making those as gifts, because I know alot WILL enjoy them for many different reasons.

Can't wait to see the Thriller pics!
It's a cool book. The idea for my coin mazes came from that book as well. But I elaborated upon mine and took it to a whole other level (both in function and in appearance) than the simple one in the book.

I've been thinking about making one of the gumball machines in that book as well. Nearly every piece in the book is painted. I'd make mine with different woods, and possibly a little staining as well, to achieve the multi-colored look.

Oh and the cool soccer players on sticks... yeah, you'll find some great inspiration in Mr. Gilsdorf's book. It's definitely a worthy purchase.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Make sure you make a test ball and socket joint before committing to the final dimensions. You'll find the dimensions in the book to be a little off. I drilled my socket holes smaller than called for and adjusted the notch as well. I'd have been super pissed if I'd drilled and cut all those pieces only to then discover that the joints are way too loose!

I can post a picture outlining my alterations if you want. The dimensions I went with look better (centered properly) and are, if I may say, the "correct" dimensions.

Thriller pics are definitely on my to-do list.

·
Mauling Maple Since 1998
327 Posts
Please do post your final dimensions and any other tips you may have. I may try to make a couple of these. I have a 3 y.o son and he'd love to destroy...play with one of these. I have some younger relatives in another country as well and they'd get a kick out of it too. :yes:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Please do post your final dimensions and any other tips you may have. I may try to make a couple of these. I have a 3 y.o son and he'd love to destroy...play with one of these. I have some younger relatives in another country as well and they'd get a kick out of it too. :yes:
I wouldn't let a child that young play with one of these unless you really beef up the joints (heavier dowel and bigger balls). Lest it get destroyed quickly.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I finally brought the robots back down to the shop and got a picture of them doing the Thriller dance. The picture may not be as good as we all hoped. Since the guys are all the same color the picture is kind of just a sea of body parts. Hopefully it's clear enough to distinguish what's going on.

Picture to be uploaded tomorrow.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
There ain't no second chance against the thing with the forty eyes

Thriller... Thriller night... (as performed by 9 wooden robots)

Majorette (dancer) Performance Dancer Line dance Dance

The cold stare of zombie eyes pierce the soul. It's downright chilling :shutup:

Robot Machine Technology Toy Joint

Robot Machine Toy Fictional character Team

That's it! I challenge your krew to a dance-off!

Robot Machine Technology Mecha Animation

Machine Joint Leg Robot Technology

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Oh boy did I mess up! I made the mistake of opening this up with my boy standing right behind me. "How many are we gonna make dad?" Uh uh,,how many? " That's cool!, we could make a zombie army" Good grief Charlie Brown.

Anyways very cool Steve! Now I have that dang song all ear wormed in my skull..Cause this is thriller,,,thriller night.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.