Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted to try making one of these. When I started renovating my parents livingroom I took out four big spindles from a separating wall and planned to use them as legs. My mom thought it would be a good idea.
My mom died about two weeks ago from ovarian cancer. I was spending so much time with her and being in the shop did not matter. Now that she has passed I have a renewed energy to be out there and maybe even try to make some money off this crazy hobby of mine.
So here goes nothing.

First off a couple pics off the spindles that inspired me.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is where I'm at after a couple hours work. Gotta put it all together tomorrow. I will be using pocket screws on this one, sorry purists. lol
The plan then is to paint the aprons and legs black and then after much debate and input from everybody here I'm going to put a Cedar top on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

Nothing I can say can ease your loss.

Just cherish her memory.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really don't know how well those pocket screw will hold alone maybe you should add another brace at the corners connecting the two aprons. I think with just the pocket screws on a table this large you may experience some racking.
Great minds think alike.lol
I added another cross brace, long side to long side and joining in to each leg at the top.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I had to scrap the cedar top idea. I should have listened to everybody here but I guess one has to learn on their own. Switched to a pine top and this is where I ended a few days ago. Hoping to have it finished in a couple days.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.