Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some ideas, , I recently was able to get 3 full size pickup truck loads of 9" wide by 19"long by 1" thick planks of heartwood pine. What could I do with them all ?

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Do you really mean 19 "inches" long?

If it is real heartwood it makes great kindling. It will also be very hard on any wood working equipment.

If you can machine it, then it would probably make a great wood floor.

George

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GeorgeC said:
Do you really mean 19 "inches" long?

If it is real heartwood it makes great kindling. It will also be very hard on any wood working equipment.

If you can machine it, then it would probably make a great wood floor.

George
Yes sadly, the wood are old bleacher seats and they were all cut up for a charity sale from a high school built in the 50's. Why will it be hard on my wood working equipment ? Flooring was my only idea for it also.I have made a few cutting boards out of it even though it not a very hard wood it seem to work fine in the home.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use Heart Pine all the time in my work. Check out the Heart Pine sash on my Windows page on my website. If it's from bleachers made in the 50s, it's probably not what is normally called Heart Pine- from virgin growth Long Leaf Pine trees that were here when the country was founded. It's most likely Yellow Pine, but YP was better quality even 50 years ago, than it is today.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Look. Just sticker and stack that loot in a dry place out of the weather.
The day will come when you can sell off a pile of it.
In the meantime, cutting boards, umbrella stands, boot hooks, hair sticks, ornaments. . . . \all sorts of things come to my mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts