Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hopefully you have indexing on your lathe, they are usually 12 or 24. Depending on the diameter of the bowl you may need to mark the index points then manually adjust it between two points and mark again. Then you just draw your lines between the points in a chevron with the spacing between the lines you like.
Some tools like the Sorby Texturing and Spiraling can do herringbone but only on spindle orientation as far as I know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The trick to the Sorby tool on a flat rim is the actual diameter you're working with. All you can do is try. I've had a couple of successes that I'm very proud of, but I've never done a Herringbone design. I HAVE done them on spindle work and it's not easy. The wood HAS to be totally dry and a Hard Wood, too. You put the design on, shallow, in one direction, then reverse the tool. You'll have to do that several times. The problem is that the tool tends to tear out wood at the beginning and end of the spiral.

Do the same process on the rim and see what happens. Otherwise, get some kind of indexing process, draw the lines in two directions and carve them out by hand or with a rotary tool.

Good luck
Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts