Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought a brand new house in 2007 that has veneer hardwood floors in the kitchen.

I noticed this morning that our kitchen has 1000s of high heel divots all over it. It looks like complete garbage now especially that we have very dark glossy floors. (When I say 1000s I mean at least 2 in every square inch in an area of about 400 square feet)

I'm trying not to get mad at her but I absolutely loved this house and everything about it and this just ruins it for me. This is by far the worse thing we've done to our home so far, and I can't imagine much worse really. (This paragraph is just here for some venting, this only happened a few hours ago and I am still pretty tore up about it, sorry)

I've done some reseach this morning and it looks like our only possible solution is maybe refinishing, but I have no experience with woodworking so I have a few questions please:

1. Are there any other solutions besides sanding and refinishing? (The floors are not even two years old yet)

2. Is it possible to refinish a veneer hardwood floor?

3. Would it ever go back to the way it looked before?

4. Is it possible to only sand the areas that are dented or do all the floors need to be done at the same time?

5. Is it very expensive to have it refinished?

Thanks for reading this guys. I miss apartment living!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The builder gave us a spec book that probably tells us what type of veneer hardwood we have. I will look in it when I get home to see if I can find out how thick the wood layer is.

Regarding the dents, there's not much weight on the heels but the dang heels are so pointy. The dents are no where near as deep as when you drop a can of peas on the floor but they are very very abundadnt, almost like she was doing laps around the house in them!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might try to raise the divots rather than sanding down the area around them. Try dampening a few divots and laying a damp towel over them and applying a warm iron. (setting somewhat lower than "Cotton".)
Trial and error as to how long to leave the iron on the towel.
I've done this on solid wood and some plywoods. Sometimes it works well and other times, not so well. But, it's worth a try.
Do you think it will work on veneer hardwood? (I'm not sure what plywood is, is it the same as veneer hardwood?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sam,
When I was building houses in the 90's, we put in a fair amount of 3/4" hardwood flooring. I always talked to the homeowners ahead of time, especially the wife, to clue them in about spike heels. When you figure out how many pounds per square inch are on those little points, it is way heavier than a refridgerator. The general rule is the spike heels have to stay off the floor, period.;)
Mike Hawkins
Yeah Mike, that was one of the first rules we came up with when we first bought this house, then I think she noticed that her shoes are not leaving marks so she started wearing them in the house, but since she gets a new pair every couple of weeks or so, I think she finally came across one that did the job :D

We went back to absolutely no high heels in the house, and we're putting a runner around the high traffic area.

I went back and looked at it again last night, it's in a pretty limited area (About 25 square feet). Just the path from the kitchen sink, to the stove to the fridge. From where she gets dressed in the morning and then fixes breakfast. Heh, the more I think about it the less I feel like I need to complain.

I am definitely trying the damp towel trick, hopefully that will work and I am also looking into the epoxy deal. Hopefully that won't turn into a huge mess.

Thanks again for all the tips guys, I'm now thinking that sanding maybe was not a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.