Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,273 Posts
Wow! That's a hell of a price for FAS cherry! Last price I saw somewhat locally was $6 per bf! And it's only 2 hours 45 from me. I could do a round trip for about $30 in gas which is still cheaper than shipping. Thanks Catpower!

I think it was sort of a bean counter thing, it was on sale for $3 per bd foot, I was going to get 500 bd ft but the counterman told me if I would take all 665 bd ft they would make me a deal as they had been sitting on it for quite a while.

But they have always beat the metromess prices, and are good troops to deal with

I made another good deal locally, I kind of stumbled into this deal a guy had cut a walnut tree up in 9/4 and 5/4 leaving the live edges on it the widest is 28 inches X 16 feet, and it is a pretty straight trunk, there is some spalting but I got it for $350. If I could sell it for Rocklers prices it would bring about $10,000

But I doubt if I would get that just going to build more furniture out of it, I am about to finish the cabinets I bought the cherry for, and I am ready to build something besides boxes, but the wife is real happy with her cherry kitchen, so if she is happy I am happy

· Registered
2,273 Posts
I also found McKinney Hardwood Lumber, http://www.mckinneyhardwoods.com/. Has anyone had any experience with them? They're an hour away from my location but seem to have a good supply though being new to hard woods I don't know if those prices are good or not.
I've never used them, but their prices seem a little high, but if they just sell retail in small amounts I guess it would have to be a little high

I have plenty of room to store the lumber inside so i order it in larger quantity and that makes a big difference in the price

Here is another place you might check

http://sweeneylumber.com/

I have never bought any from them but have called to check pricing and they were pretty close to Phillips,but I would much rather drive to DeKalb then have to deal with the traffic in the ant pile

· Registered
2,273 Posts
Catpower
I don't like traffic either, but Brazos keeps an impressive inventory of hardwoods.
Not as far as Dekalb. Is the wood in Dekalb kiln dried?

Yeah when I first started using them they were fairly small they have really grown in the last few years, some day I will check out Brazos if I am in the area

I worked in the metromess for about 35 years, about 20 at Dallas Plumbing then I went out on my own, we live about 40 NNE of you right up 78, my main mission now days it to see if I can stay on the farm for a month, and I am getting pretty good at it the only time I have to leave is when I go to the VA in Bonham monthly for blood thinner test

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.