·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HD S4S Birch : $3.27 LF

Woodworkerssource.com:
S1S: $6.24 BF

Calculation: 24"x5.5x1 divided by 144= 0.916BF

I get S4S birch cheaper at HF.... Thoughts?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cheaper online but I also have to get it shipped and rip it myself. So for the $1.00 difference I get it from HD faster and easier.

I can't type below a certain row or I can't read what I'm typing. This is in the iPhone and its annoying...... Either way, this is the reason for the multiple posts.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You can get birch at HD?

Around here they only carry three things. Pine (select and construction grades) red Oak, and Poplar. I can't even find nice Birch plywood at HD.

Check around where you live for a craft store that specialized in woodworking. A small lumber yard that sells in project sized lots would have a good price for top notch material. The guys I use the most here in Tampa will even cut down anything I ask for. I once bought 1 BF (that's right a single board foot) of 8/4 S2S curly Maple from them for under $10.00.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can get birch at HD?

Around here they only carry three things. Pine (select and construction grades) red Oak, and Poplar. I can't even find nice Birch plywood at HD.

Check around where you live for a craft store that specialized in woodworking. A small lumber yard that sells in project sized lots would have a good price for top notch material. The guys I use the most here in Tampa will even cut down anything I ask for. I once bought 1 BF (that's right a single board foot) of 8/4 S2S curly Maple from them for under $10.00.
Same around here and their veneered plywood is junk. The outer layer is about the thickness of a sheet of paper.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, they have birch, mahogany, alder, maple, red oak and some Ash.

Poplar all day long!
Redwood ( softwood though)

Oak and birch pure bond plywood, good quality.

Special order cherry veneer pure bond available.

My thought is, the cost may be $1-2 more, but you get to pick your grain, it's s4s, and different sizes.

Most ppl say go to lumber yards for hardwoods, but I don't see the big box store as being a problem. I literally picked 5 birch 3/4 x 24" x 5.50" along with 2 matching sized mahogany for $70.00 with military discount.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Unless my cold addled brain is not functioning correctly, I think your calculation is off. A linear foot of 5.5 x 0.75 material is only 0.34bf. At $3.27 a linear foot your price is actually $9.53/bf.

5.5 x 0.75 x 12 = 49.5

49.5/144 = 0.343 bf.

$3.27 / 0.343 = $9.53/bf.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
If your HD offers all that, I'd run, not walk, to get all of it I possibly could! One price "out the door" beats a slightly lower price plus shipping, plus machining all day everyday. A lineal foot is usually less material than a board foot and considering most lumber purchased from a supplier isn't S4S you'd be dealing with waste by buying the BF over the LF S4s.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unless my cold addled brain is not functioning correctly, I think your calculation is off. A linear foot of 5.5 x 0.75 material is only 0.34bf. At $3.27 a linear foot your price is actually $9.53/bf.

5.5 x 0.75 x 12 = 49.5

49.5/144 = 0.343 bf.

$3.27 / 0.343 = $9.53/bf.
Board foot calculations use the nominal sizes, so a s4s linear foot of 0.75 x 5.5 comes from a rough 1 x 6

1 x 6 x 12 /144 = .5 bdft

so the s4s birch at HD translates to $6.54 /bdft, but it's surfaced and you don't have to pay shipping. They may be different grades compared to the online stuff?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 24" it equals 1 board foot.

Online, and at the lumber yard, it's $5.00-6.00 a board foot.

At HD it's 3.27 a linear foot, making it around the same cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's pretty competitive pricing. Around me, HD and Lowes are 2-3 times more than the lumber yard. And they only have oak, poplar and pine.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
By doing a lot of asking around (aka research) I stumbled into a lifetime supply of 5/4 and 6/4 birch, 6-7" wide, straight grained, knot-free, stacked and stickered for years. 2" - 5" end splits. It's all mill rough, 5' - 7' lengths, you start at the top of the pile and take everything, no cherry picking, $1.50 per stick. Many pieces have beautiful heartwood color. We started with 300 sticks, maybe 1,500 still there.

Some wood carvers are too frightened to try anything but basswood blocks. I expected the birch to be a little harder that my usual western red cedar. I was right, it is harder but no harder to carve and holds wonderful detail. This is the time when I would like to have more of a "woodworking" shop and try my had at making things a little nicer than basement shop shelving.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as quality is concerned, it isn't quarter sawn, but it is in outstanding shape.

S4S is exactly what it is. I have zero complaints thus far. No milling marks, no variation in thicknesses, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts