Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace a plastic knob with a hand turned wooden one. The shaft is square and the current plastic knob has a square metal sleeve insert to prevent the torque from cracking the plastic.
Similarly, I want to buy hardware to prevent the torque from wearing the new wooden knob.

Know of any hardware inserts to do the job?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was thinking of the epoxy thing myself, but I'm looking for a store-bought piece of hardware, because I'm expecting to make a lot of these knobs.

Will post pictures first chance I get.

Thanks!

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Most stores have a 'metal bar'. can obtain square tubes in steel, brass and aluminium. Also plastic from model shops.
johnep

·
Registered
31 Posts
I want to replace a plastic knob with a hand turned wooden one. The shaft is square and the current plastic knob has a square metal sleeve insert to prevent the torque from cracking the plastic.
Similarly, I want to buy hardware to prevent the torque from wearing the new wooden knob.

Know of any hardware inserts to do the job?

Thanks.
Consider using a hex nut with Epoxy. Drill the hole from the bottom, slightly larger than the nut. The hole depth should be a little deeper than the hex nut. Cover the hex nut threads with tape. Insert a dowel through the front of the knob to serve as a stopper for the Epoxy. Mix your Epoxy, and use a stick to drip it around the outside of the nut. I glue a fat wooden washer over the nut to hide it. I don't have a picture but here's some other examples:

This example uses a potted threaded inserted inserted from the top of the knob:

I don't remember how I did this one:

Epoxy will hold, maybe this will give you some ideas.

-Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts