Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been asked to create a 4 x8 bulletin board for our community. It has to withstand weathers effects including the winds blowing off the Rockies here at 6,500 feet. I plan to cover the face with hinged plexiglass and want to install some hardware that will raise the whole sheet, lock it in place, and then lower it safely without cracking the plexiglass. WE are rural and plexiglass would seem to be the only clear plastic we can get. I plan to place two handles near the bottom on a small steel tube attached to the plexiglass so it will stay rigid and not crack.

I have not seen any readily available hardware for this application and envision two sets, one on each side to help raise and lower the plexiglass. I could use your insights in this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Gene so

·
Hunter
240 Posts
I've never hinged a piece of plexiglass that large, but the smaller pieces that I have worked with are pretty resilient. We just bolt hinges and latches directly to the plexi. It seems to work fine.

You might consider framing the plexiglass to give it rigidity.

Hunter

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would frame the plexi and use a large piano hinge. I would also try to locate a product called tuffak. Much better than plexi and takes a little longer to get sunburn, dry rot. Won't go brittle as quickly when exposed to the elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hardware needed

thanks so munch, so far with this regard. i do plan to have a piano hinge for mounting the plexi to the

1 - 4 of 4 Posts