Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has got to be seen to be believed... pretty scary, but also jaw-dropping in it's simplicity and efficiency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJGmwyYK8k

Note that it's not a full width cut... at the beginning of the video, look at the right side of the board, you can see they've already sent it through once, and the blade doesn't exceed the width of the board.

That said, I don't speak Italian, but what I gather from the subtitles is that the guy created a clean 12 inch, 3mm sheet of laminate/inlay in the space of about 4 seconds. The "what if" side of me says that with a proper blade guard, and other safety items installed, I see the birth of a brand new piece of resaw machinery in this video. A tool company that runs with this idea could launch the next biggest hit.

Of course, my "what if" side often exceeds reality. :laughing:

EDIT: Found the website, I said Italian, but I don't think so.... I think it's Portugese or Brazilian, best as I can tell. Nevertheless, these folks make ghee-tars, which explains why they made that thin cut. It'll be part of an acoustic guitar. http://violamineira.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
273 Posts
Whoa-ho!!
Every piece of my anatomy recoiled in horror just watching that.
Got "Don't try this at home" written all over it:laughing:

Still, if someone could pull that off and make it safe..........
What's that smell?
:laughing: :laughing:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:​

I don't know why I laughed so hard instead of crying but I was truly laughing. I think it was the combination of the music, the cultural awareness of the source, and the fact that I would probably do it too if I had the time to set it up!

thanks for that vid that was good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
WOW!

Never saw a horiz. saw, that big, work before... Looked like it was working!

Without a guard, it sure looks unsafe doesn't it?
Maybe a guard would make it MORE unsafe?!

Almost like using a router table with a GIANT saw bit installed!! :eek: :eek: :laughing:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It could have been a shaper with a saw blade attached. Looks a slight bit dangerous.
That's my question, is that a shaper motor turning that blade? I've never seen a shaper with a table that big.

And is that a sanding drum mounted above the blade? Even MORE efficiency! LOL

That's some hardcore stuff right there, and as I said, if I worked for Jet, Steel City, Delta, Grizzly, Ridgid, blahblah, etc., I'd send that video to my engineers and tell them to go to work on it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
A radial arm saw could be set up to resaw like that, but I'm not too sure how you would go about making it safer. That system sure looks like it could remove a digit in no time at all. I wonder how many nine fingered guys they have working there.

Gerry

·
Registered
70 Posts
about saw question

I have never seen anything like that it is eather a shaper or drum sander setup with a saw blade. All i have to say is watch those finger with a saw like that they can disaper very quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts