Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some maple lumber. I specified HARD MAPLE, but I think I got soft maple instead.
When I cut it on the TS, it leaves a fuzzy edge on the bottom. I don't remember the HARD MAPLE that I had before did that.

What can I do to determine if it is Hard or SOFT MAPLE?

·
7,222 Posts
May not easy at this point.

If hard maple it should be as dense and resistant to fingernail as your earlier pieces. If it feels to be normal density, then the fuzzy could just be the grain in the piece.

FYI "soft" maple is one of several species. This site has a good explanation on the differences between hard and soft maple.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...nd-soft-maple/

Take a close look at the end grain, ideally sanded to high grit then compare the end grain to the picture of the various species on forum member Phinds site.

hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have ran 4 types of maple-at least- through my planer. Big leaf furs up when I run it through. hard maple is very smooth when it gets planed. silver maple can be about half way between-depends on the piece. You probably could figure out how much it weighs and figure it out that way.

Reactions: yank

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, when planed it is smooth, the fuzz comes when I rip it. Just along the botton edge, so I guess I got the right stuff. Still need to do the fingernail test and see what the results are.

Thanks to all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts