Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HF 65345 5 speed lathe. I've never turned anything before, so I decided to purchase a less expensive one to (try to) learn on. Has anyone ever used a speed control on this before..? HF does have a speed control for routers, but not sure if it would work on a lathe or not. Can't see why it wouldn't...?

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
If it has 5 speeds why do you think you need additional speed control? The speed control you show will only work on routers and other motors with brushes.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joeb41 said:
If it has 5 speeds why do you think you need additional speed control? The speed control you show will only work on routers and other motors with brushes.
It's not so much as to try and add more speeds, but as a convenience. It's a pain in the butt to change the speed on this and I can't afford a bigger or better one at this time..

·
Registered
579 Posts
I bought the big harbor freight lathe to give turning a try. Every handle on it stripped and the motor is so week you can't turn anything bigger the a pine 2x2. It's garbage and it sits outside in the weather. That was about 5 years ago they may have made some improvements since. I knew it would be weak and cheap when I bought it but man that was just horrible.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the same lathe. Speed changes only take a few minutes - but I haven't found a need to make speed changes very often. I want to note I am a beginner too and got this to practice on so take my input with a grain of salt.

If you wanted to practice you could also return the lathe and get one with adjustable speed control - you can usually get their smaller hobby lathe that has adjustable speed - but not as much capacity, but you can usually pick it up for less than $90.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I have used this lathe a few times and it is serving my needs at the moment. I'm sure once, and if I get better I will want something better. I was just curious to see if that speed control would work with that particular lathe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts