Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that I might get a router to dedicate to my new router table and shop made lift. I ran across an ad for a HF 2hp fixed base router and was wondering if any of you know anything about them. They are pretty reasonably priced. They seem to have a lot of great reviews. The only draw back mentioned was that some thought they were a little fast. I understand that HF also sells a speed reducer that works well with this router according to reviewers.
I am very tempted but thought I would ask here.

Charlie:smile:

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
While I've never adjusted the speed of a router I have two of the Harbor Freight 2hp routers I have on a router table. I have the two of them set up with a tongue and groove set. They work as well as any routers I've ever used. The only thing I didn't like was my router table was cramped for space and I had to take the handles off the router base and they were a pain to get off.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I was thinking that I might get a router to dedicate to my new router table and shop made lift. I ran across an ad for a HF 2hp fixed base router and was wondering if any of you know anything about them. They are pretty reasonably priced. They seem to have a lot of great reviews. The only draw back mentioned was that some thought they were a little fast. I understand that HF also sells a speed reducer that works well with this router according to reviewers.
I am very tempted but thought I would ask here.

Charlie:smile:
Hi Charlie - I haven't got a lot of faith in the harbor freight electrical tools. My dad used to swear by their angle grinders because they were less than $20.. of course he was buying them about every 3-4 months. I think most of their power tools are a crap shoot, some make out very well and some not worth a c***. They do have a good return policy so if you live near enough to a store that you don't need to ship things all over the country, it could be a good move. The reviews do read pretty good. For table work, the speed reducer would be a must.
Good Luck:smile:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had the same router in a table for over two years, with the speed control, I think it was $9.00 for the two year extended " if it quits bring it in and we will give you another one", never had to use it. I also have a PC 690, the HF performs just as well as the PC does. The only thing that I can think of on the HF is the stamped wrenches, get a 24mm and a 13mm(I think that's right)open end wrenches and grind them a tad thinner to fit the collet and shaft. I can't see paying 3-4 times the price for the same tools that have a "brand name " on them.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
+1 on the craftsman routers. Real workhorses and very well built. I have 3 of them from 1.75 hp to 2.5 hp. They've done everything I've ever asked without a hiccup.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a
+1 on the craftsman routers. Real workhorses and very well built. I have 3 of them from 1.75 hp to 2.5 hp. They've done everything I've ever asked without a hiccup.
I have a Craftsman router kit and really like it. The fixed base one is a tad more then I wanted to spend but I am not ruling it out either.

Out of curiosity does the base come off either the HF 2hp or the Sears one mentioned above?

Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts