Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you all say about harbar freight air tools. small disk sander and air drill. thanks carl.

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
I'm a big fan of harbor freight tools but I haven't had good luck with their air tools. While I don't have any experience with the two tools you have listed I did buy an air compressor from them I had to take back and then some months later the replacement compressor started comming apart internally. I took it apart myself and fixed the problem and are still using it. Then I bought an air sheer that the blade broke within a couple of weeks and they don't sell replacement blades for it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Second the above response. I had two air tool experiences. First a framing nailer. Used it a few times and it crapped out. Called HF to see about replacement parts. Response: "Sorry, sir, we don't support that tool."

Second, a palm nailer. Brought it home for a project I was working on. Didn't work right out of the box. Took it back and got another. Same thing. Screw it! Went to Home Depot and bought a Ridgid - been working ever since.

As in above post, I've had good luck with many, many other HF tools.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Overall have had good luck with HF tools. The warranty helps.
The nailers I have are ok, and really like my compressor.
That being said, the old axiom comes to mind---Ya get what you pay for...
Dave H

·
broke rookie
36 Posts
my HF brad nailer is great! go on their web site and read all the reviews for which ever tool you want to buy. that has saved me from a couple potential poor choices and steered me towards many of my other HF tools.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Somewhere on the web,there's about a ten year old thread/verbiage that lists all the,"good" or O.K. items....and the......definitely,stay away from.WRT Harbor Freight.

Bet you'd find it pretty quick with a search......just use a few different key words like "list" or "chart".

It seemed to be pretty well represented.Good luck.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Harbor Freight difficult at best to rate.

If you have decent mechanical abilities and are familiar with the particular style of tool, HF can be good. However remember that your labor is what can make a so-so tool a good tool.

I bought one of their 1" belt sanders for $32. I have it running rather well but it took a bit of effort.

Their clamps are poor, no matter what. Most of the clamps do NOT exert parallel pressure.

The 20 gauge staple guns are OK but obviously very cheaply made.

The old brad nail and staple gun is OK.

I buy a lot of their nitrile gloves. They are good.

I would avoid their nails for pneumatic nail guns. The 23 gauge are horribly soft and tend to follow the grain. I've had some 23 gauge nails turn 180° and come out the surface that they were shot into.

I don't use enough of their staples to form an opinion.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
AQnything that I have gotten at HF ...

follows a simple rule...

1. If it has moving parts, it will break
2. If it does not have moving parts, it works ok.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Harbor Freight

One word of caution..the two tools you mention buying both need a large volume of air per minute. (CFM) You are going to need to make sure you have a big compressor/with at least a 60 gal tank to run those tools for any length of time. I would say at least 5hp.

Best of Luck,

Bandman

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a few tools from HF, some are ok, otheres not. Clamps are marginal. I do have one 18 ga nailer that works, but had to do a mod on it to get it to work right, it is my first to go to for quick use that will not be shown.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
HF tools

i don't waist my time going their , buy quality and be done with the purchase from quality tool company's , you may pay more but you will not have to take back and trade tool's from hf my 2 cents

·
Registered
530 Posts
Air tools I've bought:
- Flooring nailer - works great and has paid for itself several times. Laid 3/4" oak downstairs and in process of using it for the entire upstairs
- 3 Gallon pancake compressor - also works great and have had zero issues with it

Clamps - pipe and others - no problems with any of them so far; they hold my 2 pieces of wood down/together fine for me

I would expect the 2 you are looking at, being of fairly simple design, to work just fine (assuming you have a good compressor as already mentioned). Remember to oil them.

·
Registered
618 Posts
i don't waist my time going their , buy quality and be done with the purchase from quality tool company's , you may pay more but you will not have to take back and trade tool's from hf my 2 cents
I have yet to have to return a tool. A lot of times, the tool you buy at HF is the same tool that other companies sell, and just mark up significantly higher. There's some real crap tools in there, and there's some awesome ones. Just takes a bit of research to figure out which ones are which.

·
Registered
367 Posts
why should I pay X# times more for a tool I hardly ever use when I can buy it from HF and use the extra money to buy more wood?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts