Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guys! Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't been posting stuff lately as ok right in the middle of a couple projects. But anyway, yesterday ( the 23rd) was my birthday one of the presents my grandparents bought me was this 1 3/4 horse craftsman plunge router!!!!! I'm already in love with it and this thing rocks! 1/4 and 1/2 shanks Variable speed, LED work lights, slow start up. It's awesome.....to me. So I kinda wanted to show it off kinda wanted some opinions and really have a couple solid questions. I'm used to using fixed base routers both free hand and under a table. how much difference is there truly between fixed and plunge? I've read a lot of stuff about it but I want to know from people who can give me a down to earth woodworker to woodworker response not someone writing an article for Sears or lowes. Question 2 with this being a plunge router is it possible for me to mount it under a table? I believe a Christmas gift is coming that will be A router table, I have a fixed base porter-cable that I love to death but it's age is getting up there and I'm not sure if I would be Abel to secure it. So is it possible for me to use a plunge under a table?? And following that. Can you buy just the fixed base? That would be ideal as I could just mount the fixed base to the table and interchange it when needed. Final question. Is this router practical for the way I plan to use it? Under a table and perhaps in a dovetail jig. I'm keeping it no matter what. But I'm just curios. My parents also got me this $100 gift card to lowes which I'm sure will go to good use be it bits a fixed base or whatever. Thanks so much guys! I would love to hear your thoughts!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please read above!!!! However. Please excuse all spelling mistakes and punctuation errors as this is being sent through iPhone and sometimes makes me look like a complete idiot whenever I really actually do know how to spell and punctuate a sentence.

·
where's my table saw?
29,960 Posts
I wouldn't use a plunge under a table

The height adjustments need to be very precise and that's difficult with a plunge in my experience. A fixed base with the twist to adjust type motor would be more precise in my opinion. Some of the Craftsman routers adjust from the base as well as the top. Maybe yours is like that?
Happy Birthday regardless! :happybday::rockon: :yes:

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi jj, congratulations on a nice router. I've had it's 2HP brother for several months and have been pleased. Normally plunge routers are somewhat problematic for height adjustment while in the table but this one I suspect will work fine, maybe even above table adjustment. The description says "rack and pinion height adjustment". Check the bottom beneath the gizmo I have the arrow pointing to and see if you can access that screw with a drive tool of some kind from underneath, may need to remove the base plate to see it.
In any case, I would put the Porter Cable in the table and use this one hand held. Then you wouldn't need to be pulling it in and out of a table although the variable speed would be preferable there. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
woodnthings said:
The height adjustments need to be very precise and that's difficult with a plunge in my experience. A fixed base with the twist to adjust type motor would be more precise in my opinion. Some of the Craftsman routers adjust from the base as well as the top. Maybe yours is like that? Happy Birthday regardless! :happybday::rockon: :yes:
This one does allow the motor to slide up and down. I can lock it so the plunge base is below the shank and then raise that motor up even higher. I believe that is what your referring to. Thanks so much for the birthday wish!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jschaben said:
Hi jj, congratulations on a nice router. I've had it's 2HP brother for several months and have been pleased. Normally plunge routers are somewhat problematic for height adjustment while in the table but this one I suspect will work fine, maybe even above table adjustment. The description says "rack and pinion height adjustment". Check the bottom beneath the gizmo I have the arrow pointing to and see if you can access that screw with a drive tool of some kind from underneath, may need to remove the base plate to see it. In any case, I would put the Porter Cable in the table and use this one hand held. Then you wouldn't need to be pulling it in and out of a table although the variable speed would be preferable there. :smile:
Hi there! And thank you! The gizmo you pointed to is indeed just for that. It came with a great big long Allen wrench that fits it and you can a just it up and down and then like I said above the motor will slide up and down also. Do you have your plunge mounted? I will try to get the porter cable in a table I know a couple screws are missing. I have it rigged up to a makeshift table I made using an old wooden box lid I cut the hole for the router and everything, then screwd it to the lid so I suppose if that holds then it should hold on a table. The porter cable is the old one that have a trigger for on and off. Which I like a lot better then the switch. Much faster if something goes wrong. Thanks for your reply!!! I'll let you guys know once I get to using it and I'll probably do a review on it. Thanks again!!

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi there! And thank you! The gizmo you pointed to is indeed just for that. It came with a great big long Allen wrench that fits it and you can a just it up and down and then like I said above the motor will slide up and down also. Do you have your plunge mounted? I will try to get the porter cable in a table I know a couple screws are missing. I have it rigged up to a makeshift table I made using an old wooden box lid I cut the hole for the router and everything, then screwd it to the lid so I suppose if that holds then it should hold on a table. The porter cable is the old one that have a trigger for on and off. Which I like a lot better then the switch. Much faster if something goes wrong. Thanks for your reply!!! I'll let you guys know once I get to using it and I'll probably do a review on it. Thanks again!!
Hi jj - No, mine isn't table mounted. I use a Freud 3000 for that which is a plunge router and has above table access also. I use the Craftsman for inlays and signs mostly, the led work lights give it a major advantage for that.
For table mounting, you really should use an externally mounted switch that can be reached easily without going under the table to power it down. Just wire a regular household outlet under the table to plug the router into and control the power to that with an on-off switch. If your Porter Cable has a lock button on the switch, just leave it engaged and turn the power on and off with the remote switch. If it doesn't have a lock button, just tape the trigger down. :smile:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think you will find that you will want at least one fixed base and one plunge router in your arsenal. With the plunge base you will be able to route mortises easier, use it with template bushings to create inlay work, make adjustable shelf pin holes, stop dados, and much much more that would be very difficult to do with a fixed base.

My router table lift just clamps to the motor so if it's like mine you could just remove the base and use either of your routers in it.

Happy routing, and Merry Christmas!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts