Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am trying to design and then hopefully build my first wall cabinet for my bathroom due to not being able to find what I want that is prebuilt.

It's a simple box with 2 shelves in it 28" x 32" x 12" deep

The challenges that I'm thinking about are:
  1. the walls that I'm hanging it on are pretty uneven 1920's lathe and plaster with
    • a good 1/8 to 1/4 bow in them top to bottom and
    • something similar left to right
    • exaggerated but similar:
  2. I'm hanging it in a corner
  3. its in my bathroom over a toilet so I don't want any chance of it coming down by accident.
  4. To match the current cabinets I can't hide my imperfections with trim so ...
  5. I would like to scribe it to the walls to help hide how bowed the walls are.
So I was thinking of hanging it on a french cleat but I know that with the uneven walls that may not work great
I've left an extra 1/4" in my plans on the back side of the cabinet for scribing.
Is it insanity to try and scribe the top AND 2 exposed sides?
or will the amount of material I have to take off move the cabinet so much that it will just screwup the scribe in the perpendicular plane?
(or am I over thinking this?)

thanks for your time to those that respond.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make your cabinet square, then use shims in the corners to make the gap as even as possible on the exposed sides.
Make your cabinet square, then use shims in the corners to make the gap as even as possible on the exposed sides.
I don't know how well that'll work since I can't hide it with trim and the wall is shaped as displayed above

·
Registered
65 Posts
You're on the right track. We routinely run into walls like yours on installs.

My primary suggestion is to leave more material for scribe than you think you need. You said the walls are out by 1/4", I'd assume you'll need at least 1/2" of scribe material. Better to have too much than fall short and end up with a gap on the wall.

A French cleat design will help immensely with the scribing, allowing you to temporarily and loosely hang the cabinet to transfer your scribe lines. Temporarily set your wall cleat proud of the wall the same amount as your added scribe material, then hang your cabinet level and plumb. Transfer your scribe lines, cut, re set the wall cleat to its final position and re hang the cabinet.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You're on the right track. We routinely run into walls like yours on installs.

My primary suggestion is to leave more material for scribe than you think you need. You said the walls are out by 1/4", I'd assume you'll need at least 1/2" of scribe material. Better to have too much than fall short and end up with a gap on the wall.

A French cleat design will help immensely with the scribing, allowing you to temporarily and loosely hang the cabinet to transfer your scribe lines. Temporarily set your wall cleat proud of the wall the same amount as your added scribe material, then hang your cabinet level and plumb. Transfer your scribe lines, cut, re set the wall cleat to its final position and re hang the cabinet.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Thanks since I don't have much experience in this area I keep second guessing myself & it's nice to hear that I'm heading in the right direction even if 8 don't know all the details.

Thanks again for the input

·
Registered
Termite
5,280 Posts
Have you put a square in the corner?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts