Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
David
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We built a room in the attic over the garage and I wanted a door that was fully insulated, like the walls, from the new room into the actual attic. So, I built a wall that opens like a door. That meant I needed to make my own door latch and I got a little creative bordering on whimsical. It wasn't necessary to do it like this but I thought about it, went to Lowe's and picked up a couple of washers and steel flat stock, and built what I saw in my mind's eye. Oh, the 'knob' is Walnut. Ultimately it will have trim around it and be flush with the door/sheetrock. The door is now insulated, has sheetrock and texture, and ready for final paint and trim around the Walnut knob.

You can see a 48 second video of the latch and door in action here - https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=dAHEezaHYHA&feature=youtu.be - it's actually 4 short videos blended together, and sorry for the video being shot vertical instead of wide...

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.