Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My apologies in advance for what is, most likely, a silly question. I am not only new to this site but new to forums all together. I just registered a day ago and made my first post. The responses were not only helpful but incredibly timely :)
My question is this,
say upon reading a particular reply to my own post, I have a follow up question or comment for the user who replied. What is the best way to post and ensure that said user will receive my follow up? i.e. may I simply "post reply" or quick response, or do I need to quote and reply?
Also, is it bad form to "THANKS!" every helpful reply (as I like to be appreciative and courteous in nature)?

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts
in general, just reply and submit

Then all will be able to see your question and that may be helpful to others as well. We usually are "subscribed" to the threads we post on and that shows as a blue box with an arrow, when you search for "New Posts" in the title bar.
Private Messaging is a way to contact a specific member, however you must have 25 posts for that function. Lacking that, you can post a "visitor message" for that specific person by clicking on the user name and using that option.

Using the "THANKS" button is always welcome as far as I know. :yes:
Welcome to WWT.

Reactions: twohourslate

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

You can post as a general reply, and all can read. If a poster has made some specific suggestion that you feel needs direct addressing, you can quote that poster, with your reply.

Since there may be several responses from different members, and each may have some merit on their own, by just continually quoting the same member may slight others that have tried to help. It can make them feel invisible...like they offered nothing.That can also apply to responding to a post by just typing the name of the member, like addressing a letter.

If you have specific questions, and feel like going to a specific member and asking by way of a "visitor message", or a "private message" (PM), keep in mind that posting the same query in the open forum will get a variety of responses, and expose your question to members having a diverse and sometimes extensive experience with that particular subject matter. Doing that also may help others with a similar question/problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much. I have a much clearer understanding of how things work here. Everyone is so helpful and kind here :)
On a side note I was able to check out some pics while reading your responses.
woodnthings - 30 m&t joints on that beautiful quilt rack, WOW! seems the skill I'll need to develop the most is patience...
cabinetman - loved the briefcase, so impressive. Also was taken by the plexi barstool.
Thx again!

·
Registered
26,375 Posts
You will likely run into a road block if you attempt to send a PM right now. I think you have to have 25 posts before you are allowed to PM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts