Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother gave me a Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge for Christmas and I will need to turn a handle for it. What's the typical length for that - maybe 12 or 15 inches? I have a nice Cocobolo blank destined to be made round...

TIA

·
7,222 Posts
Personal preference. I would not go less than 15in.

I made mine 17in long. I prefer longer to shorter.

Shorter can be more difficult to hold when turning a deep bowl and the tool rest cannot be positioned close enough, so a lot of the shaft can be ahead of the tool rest. Longer handle in these cases helps.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I made mine 16".

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I use Doug Thompson's own 16" handle on my bowl gouge, but have turned my own handles since. I aim for 18", I like the balance and control I get with the extra length.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would not go any shorter than 16. I personally like my handles a little longer. The longer handle allows you to place that handle on you hip for more control of the tool. Shorter handle means less control on larger blanks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I was at the local Woodcraft yesterday and was suprised at the variation in handle lengths between the different brands. Their WoodRiver brand have 16" handles and they looked like they'd be cumbersome at the lathe. But that's what I'll shoot for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts