Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this build under way for a while now, but because of limited time and my slow pace, I held off posting a build thread until now. I am building a tool chest for my hand tools, as the thread title suggests. I am using walnut and sycamore. The approximate dimensions are 34x18x8" for the box itself (external dimensions, not including lid, since it doesn't exist yet).

The corner joint are double-dovetails, cut at 7 degrees. Cutting dovetails on a 3' long board with a router table can be a little challenging, but with a little careful planning it worked out just fine.

I joined the maple on my router table using the split fence attachments for my Incra Wonderfence. I then ripped all of the boards to a common width on the table saw.

To cut the boards to length, I built a sacrificial fence that spans two miter gauges set to 90 degrees. This offered better support and pretty good accuracy for the longer, more cumbersome boards.

Yup, the big stuff seems to fit okay. Looks like I will need to buy some more saws and planes to fill this thing up!

Time for some double dovetails! First, I loaded up a 1/2" 7 degree Freud dovetail bit.

I loaded up the appropriate template and followed the procedure for setting the bit height and centering the bit.

2 33" boards clamped to the Incra Jumbo Right Angle Fixture and ready to roll.

I clamped a shop vac attachment to the edge of the table for some moderate dust/chip collection. It wasn't very effective, but better than nothing.

Ready!

Cut!

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

I grooved a block of sycamore that was cut to the same width as the rest of the boards. I then cross-cut these to about 1/16" over the thickness of the boards. The fit was very, very tight. I had to ease the joints together with clamps to get them into place.

Once these were dry, I cross cut the excess sycamore at 3/16" beyond the walnut tails. I then scored the inside surface of the tail boards to account for the rounded half-blind pin boards. I attached the upper fence support to help keep the boards square to the table.

I then cut the tails again through the sycamore just like before, except with a narrower spacing. Once I cut the pin boards, I did a test fit.

The fit is good!

I used my CMT 1/2" plywood undersized bit for a dado along the lower part of each side. This was a stopped dado that was also cut on the router table in 3 passes. Here is a test fit with the 1/2" Baltic birch floor in place.

Once I got the corners all glued up, I began to work on the handles for the ends. I thought about several designs, but ended up settling on one that goes along with the dovetail look. I cut two blocks of sycamore at a 7 degree angle.

I drilled two holes in each of these blocks. I counter bored the holes on the wide end and fastened spikeless T-nuts with #4 brass screws. I then glued thin slices of walnut to the top, bottom, and wide end of the handles. After sanding, I temporarily mounted these to the short ends of the box.

I'll remove these for finishing, but I just wanted to verify their fit and see them in place. They are held in place by stainless steel 1/4-20 allen head machine screws that are counter-sunk to be flush inside the box.

Well, that is mostly where it is now. I am working on the lid, but more on that later. After that, I will need to finalize my hinge plans and work on interior dividers to keep planes and saws in place, as well as a sliding tray for smaller hand tools to live in. Thanks for checking it out!

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good so far. Great pictures. Is this your own design?

Yup, the design is my own doing. I started by laying out my hand tools and looking what kind of space I might need for them to fit into. The lid is going to really be the focal point. Stay tuned!

I should also point out that this is all walnut and sycamore that I got from Mike1950. Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yup, the design is my own doing. I started by laying out my hand tools and looking what kind of space I might need for them to fit into. The lid is going to really be the focal point. Stay tuned!

I should also point out that this is all walnut and sycamore that I got from Mike1950. Thanks Mike!
Ben, I thought I recognized the wood. Nice Idea, box and build!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those double dovetails look amazing. I just started building a tool chest as well but now I feel it is woefully inadequate. This is great motivation, can't wait to see the top piece.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
those double dovetails are REALLY cool! :thumbsup:

but ... since it is for HAND TOOLS, it feels like you should also MAKE it using hand tools ... ?

not hating ... just sayin' ... :smile:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

but ... since it is for HAND TOOLS, it feels like you should also MAKE it using hand tools ... ?

lol I thought that it would be a chest built using only hand tools when I opened the post. And just a by the way your joinery skills are freaking awesome

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Ha, yeah I hear ya! I am not discriminating between hand and power tools on this one. I have another build that I will post on eventually that I am doing primarily by hand...less a couple of cuts on the table saw.

I am thinking a lot about the tradition of old masters with their elaborate tool chests and boxes that were as much a place to store (and honor) their tools as a testimate to their craftsmanship and abilities. The more I think about that, I become very aware of how I adequate my humble tool box will be! That said, this is my most ambitious project to date.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Ben- Boxes are fun- and there are so many kinds. You get to use fantastic wood without breaking the bank.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, you guys are due for an update so here we go. The lid is underway. The body of the lid is two pieces of 6/4 sycamore glued up together with a thin 1/8"-ish strip of this walnut between.

Here is those board cut down and glued up with three Dutchman joints mocked up.
Furniture Table Wood Wood stain Plywood
Antique tool Wood Tool woodworking Carving

Herr are the Dutchman joints carved out, glued, and knocked down to flush. I have a big knot that I have been scratching my head about, trying to figure out the most graceful way to handle. The wood around the knot is gorgeous and there is even a very small amount of spalting, but the center most portion is very weak. I decided to make a plug for it on the top that is roughly the same shape from sycamore.
Wood Hardwood Floor Wood stain Wood flooring
Wood Flooring Floor Wood flooring Hardwood
Here is that thick inlay inserted. The back side is less severe. I have started filling the crack itself with epoxy when I glued the plug yesterday. I will do more epoxy work and a small Dutchman on both sides to stabilize things.
Wood stain Wood Table Hardwood Floor
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Floor

As you can see, the lid is shorter in width than the box is. I am figuring out the details of some breadboard ends still, to be made from walnut

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts