Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sorry i don't have progress pictures. I grab the tools i need and go to a shared shop. The camera is just not something i think about.

This is my first time using a plow plane and my first time making cabinets, so there was a lot of oops's that i won't talk about.

I used through mortise and tenon joints for the top and sides. I raised my panel, but in the back and not with any fancy molding planes. I don't really like really refined things (luckily i use hand tools and am a complete novice).

I got the poplar from home depot and I hand ripped a 3/4" board into book matched panels, so that was some fun work too.

I noticed I made two different sizes while taking the pictures. Somebody wasn't paying attention. Oops.

turned out alright. I've yet to make the cabinet part so stay tuned.

I am no photographer. i also just noticed I didn't arrange the doors book matched. Just flip it around in your amazing wood worker's imagination.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow, for hand work, that's pretty nice! I'm about to do a bathroom cabinet (open design though, so no doors), and I hope I can get it that nice!

Acer

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is nothing wrong with those doors. All the mistakes give it CHARACTER!
yeah. i'll just do a few passes with a plane and they'll be the same size. the panels will look funny perhaps.

I just bought some neat old looking hardware for them. I'm hoping i can finish it really nice. I'm awful at finishing. I want it to be greyish...yellowish...perhaps burnt on the edges. i don't know.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think my eyes are playing tricks with me. Are they the same size? They look nice. Did you apply any finish yet?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yeah. i mentioned that. i don't know how they got that way. i shoulda lined up my mortises.

measure once...

perhaps i'll showcase all the screw ups in a later post. i highlighted the times i did well. a lot of sawdust and glue helping me out. kinda like a woodworker's photoshopping.

i have not put any finish on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i've tried to take more pictures!

i actually have more progress than these show. Tomorrow I'll show what i've actually got. these are a little boring. the hand ripping takes a significant amount of time and i've done it 3 times. i've done almost all of my milling type work. I've done some mortises and some tenons for the shelves. I am going to put 3 cubbies on the bottom two shelves and i've grooved out those too. i'm going to make it backless, but i will put some pieces of wood in the back for mounting to the wall.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is a more interesting update. just a reminder that i am a real novice, and i use all hand tools, and i don't have a teacher besides roy underhill. my joints are not as crisp as others. i don't have a lot of money so i have no practice pieces of wood (usually) so my first time doing a lot of things is on my work. that's kind of a neat thing, but kind of continually humbling (for the better and the worse). this project has got me learning two things mostly. 1. Don't be clumsy. I broke some of my dove tail stuff while setting the camera down after my picture. i had to glue it back together. 2. double check every measurement, even if i'm using a story stick. i've got some tenons that don't line up at all, but there's a groove so i just cut them off and stuck them in the mortise to maintain the aesthetics. i wood work for about 2 hours before every work day, and then for about 3-4 on the week end days. yeah. i don't have kids yet.

i rabbet the tenon and groove after i took this picture. my rabbet plane was in the other room and i was too lazy to get it. as i worked i said to myself how poor workmanship it was. i just thought...it's in the groove no one will see it. live and learn.

fitting the grooves.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Coming along nicely What are you using to sharpen your tools with Automotive sandpaper works well if you have never tired it wet / dry 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2000 grit

Jerry

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i have a few stones. one has a rough side and a moderate side and the other is a diamond stone. the router plane isn't exactly mine and i haven't sharpened it much. it needs some work.

i use one of those triangle files for the saws. i've sharpened 2 panel saws, but i should sharpen the back saws.

i do not own any saws personally. i use really crappy and neglected ones. i really should get a nice dovetail saw. i'm so completely new to this.

i know my work is poor, but i just like to come and post because nobody sees my work except the wife. i woodwork in the morning for a few hours before my regular job. it's nice to wake up wanting to do something rather than hating going to work, or being too tired to do anything after. i'm about to go right now. it's about quarter till 5 in the morning. i just finished my cereal. no one sees me go in, but around 8 i will run into people.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm only 30, but i'm doing good so far

here's the finished product. i'll take more once i find the camera battery charger. i may take different pictures. We don't have light here yet. i did this from like..4AM AM to 6 AM

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
finished with golden danish oil. i sanded it all smooth with 120, applied oil, let it dry, sanded with more oil and 220 to fill end grain pores and all that, let it dry, sanded it with 600, burnt the edges with a soldering iron, and put the hardware on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts