Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
I find a lot of the comments here to border on snobbery. Cheap casting. Wrong bed angle. Carpenter not woodworker. Plastic handle. Nobody remembers the cliche “it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools”? Clean it, sharpen it, tune as best you can … and put it to work. Use your skill to overcome the economy of the tool.
I disagree with most that entirely. Who doesn’t want to use quality tools? It’s not snobbery, it’s knowing a good tool will do better and make the work better, too. A person who maybe doesn’t have the funds/priorities/permission to obtain them may have a tinge of jealousy?

The fastest path to frustration and discouragement is a newbie trying to develop skills using cheap tools. Period!

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
It is a stock photo and I do not own one.

I was taught to use the blade at 90deg like a card scraper so you can use both sides. Having used one only a few times, I'm no expert, but I did have to adjust the burr a few times to get it at the right angle to cut.
That’s not correct, BC. A cabinet scraper blade is set up very differently from a card scraper. See post above. Never used one either but I would assume a scraper plane is the same.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Ok, the picture i posted of the Stanley 12 is my tool. I have sharpened the blade and tried to use it a little, so i guess amongst those posting here … i’m the expert. Now that’s a scary thought. Anyway, i had thought about sharpening the blade square like a card scraper, but didn’t, instead i did an angle. Part of my logic was … given that I am used to sharpening chisels and plane blades at an angle, trying to consistently sharpen at 90* would be awkward. Just clamp the blade in the wheeled holder and take a few swipes like a regular blade. It works.

Sidebar. The scraper blade is very wide. I could get it clamped in the holder, but it’s wider than my diamond plate and wider than my stones, so i have to push it sideways across the stone. Lots of short strokes.
Did you turn a burr? A properly set up scraper should have a hook and product shavings.

Handwriting Plant Twig Font Line

1 - 7 of 7 Posts