Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Property mgmt
444 Posts
I find a lot of the comments here to border on snobbery. Cheap casting. Wrong bed angle. Carpenter not woodworker. Plastic handle. Nobody remembers the cliche “it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools”? Clean it, sharpen it, tune as best you can … and put it to work. Use your skill to overcome the economy of the tool.

·
Registered
Property mgmt
444 Posts
Oh hell yes, I'm a tool snob.
I like that. Nothing wrong with that attitude.

But it’s like people who are heavily invested in Festool, or Snap-On … danged expensive tools, and there are lesser tools that will perform just as well.

None of us have touched the tools in the bucket, and we have one picture to go buy. Could be … more than one of those planes could be good enough to clean & tune, and use for a loaner, or pass on to a young person as a starter gift.

·
Registered
Property mgmt
444 Posts
That’s not correct, BC. A cabinet scraper blade is set up very differently from a card scraper. See post above. Never used one either but I would assume a scraper plane is the same.
Ok, the picture i posted of the Stanley 12 is my tool. I have sharpened the blade and tried to use it a little, so i guess amongst those posting here … i’m the expert. Now that’s a scary thought. Anyway, i had thought about sharpening the blade square like a card scraper, but didn’t, instead i did an angle. Part of my logic was … given that I am used to sharpening chisels and plane blades at an angle, trying to consistently sharpen at 90* would be awkward. Just clamp the blade in the wheeled holder and take a few swipes like a regular blade. It works.

Sidebar. The scraper blade is very wide. I could get it clamped in the holder, but it’s wider than my diamond plate and wider than my stones, so i have to push it sideways across the stone. Lots of short strokes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts