Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mike44
retired carpenter and farmer
521 Posts
These are at an estate sale. No idea how much they want, sale hasn't started yet. There are no pictures of other tools at the sale, so I think it's a bit odd to see these.

I'm not a plane user, so I have no idea if any of these are any good or special. I want to learn more about the different types, get a decent assortment, and start using them.

Can anyone tell from the picture if any of these are worth going to look at?

View attachment 442765
Both larger planes appear to be scraper planes.The block planes are run of the mill. I would pass on them.
mike

·
mike44
521 Posts
Post #10 is erroneous,those larger planes are most definitely not scraper planes.They may be jack planes and they may be better than anybody thinks.I wouldn't rate the block planes as they don't have lateral adjusters as the better ones do,but those jack planes could be turned into very useful tools in about an hour each.Removing the rust and repainting would be a longer project but wouldn't make them cut any better as tools.Some people view having pretty tools as a very important part of their hobby.
The two larger planes appear to have the irons vertical. Scraper planes are like that. I have a Jack plane that is old, and other planes some I have made. 35/40 ° I think is the angle of the bed on my Stanley #5.

·
mike44
521 Posts
Might I suggest that you put at least one of your jack planes in a bucket,stand back,and look at it?As for scraper planes,are we considering something like the Stanley 80 or a toothing plane?
Not a toothing plane but a Stanley #112 or similar. I do not claim to be a hand plane expert as you seem to be.
I have seen scraper planes which could be like those pictured. I use a simple card scraper , not a plane when needed.
Not familiar with Stanley # 80. The scraper plane that I have seen sat on a shelf and I personally never saw it used.
My boss used card scrapers and taught me the same.
mike
I've got to back fareastern on this one. Those blades are 45 degrees to the bed and those are normal hand planes
I'm done arguing about this post. No matter how I look at the photo the irons appear vertical to me.
Hopefully this will be the last post about the planes in the bucket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts