Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had made my six year old grandson a wood Knife for a Halloween costume and he informed me he needed more weapons for Christmas. He and I sat down and drew a bunch of swords and I started making them on Thanksgiving break. By the day before Christmas I had more handmade weapons/swords than I like to admit. This what started out as a ninja sword and ended up two Katans, sheaths, and a stand. It seems like this is how all of my projects go. The wood is purple heart and maple from the scrap pile. The metal is stainless and brass which I made in my home shop.

Attachments

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Now those are just too cool...and the detail is awesome!!! My little boy would love those but even if I had that kinda skill, he'd probably chop his little sisters arm off or something!!

Do you have a laser machine or something? How are you doing those little intricate details?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, those turned out really nice! I especially like the folding ones. :yes: Very neat idea. Bet he really loves those! Great work!

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
Those are Awesome. Great Craftsmanship I can't let my future Ninjas see this thread. Really Neat

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't have swords without pirate swords. This started out as one, but the pattern I made looked as good as the final blade so I had to make two. I drew up the hand guard and had a local shop water-jet it out of brass then I bent it on a big pipe. These blades are some old oak I had laying around.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
Man you can Quit your day job. There's your new Business and you enjoy it to boot. Awesome Work

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once started I could not stop. Had some maple boards glued together and made the shield out of it. A friend gave me some spalted pecan chunks from a tree that fell in his yard for the handle and some more purple heart for the hand guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I see you posted more pictures, I should have waited... Ok, now I really like those thick Pirate swards, those are really cool looking. :thumbsup: Well, wait a minute.. I cant seem to make my mind up :blink: I guess I really like them all! Great job, they all turned out really great... fantastic idea! Thanks for posting those!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Almost forgot about these two. The best thing about the Rambo knife was the sheath. I got to learn how to do a little leather work. It was easier than I expected with the sewing awl I purchased from Hobby Lobby when I purchase a pack of scrap leather with a piece big enough for the sheath. The gun was a laser free pattern I found on the Internet from Lazzer Buzz (lucky to have a friend with a laser). He has some cool stuff for the laser. I made more than one so the grandson and I would have something to do together after Christmas. The best thing of all was the treasure hunt. He had so much stuff it would not fit under the tree. I made 7 authentic treasure maps from the Grinch Pirate each leading to a new treasure and another map. By the end he was shaking he was so into it and glad to get the pirates swords so they could not get their bounty back. What was the funniest he would not leave anything where he found it and had to bring everything with him to the next spot so the pirate wouldn’t steel it back.

Attachments

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
You have got to be the coolest grandpa out there, to make those for your grandson, and then give them to him like you did....

All those "weapons" are wicked-awesome, and I hope your grandson really enjoys them. I personally probably wouldn't want to give them up, with the pride I would have in making them, but like you said, it is a fun thing that you and your grandson are enjoying together.

mastershand had a good point, though. I'm sure you could probably sell some of those at a craft show or ebay.

Fabian

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Great work shown above.

However, if this thread is spread too widely somebody is going to complain that making swords for grandchildren is sending a wrong messagel Maybe these people should get a message of a different kind.

George

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
GeorgeC said:
However, if this thread is spread too widely somebody is going to complain that making swords for grandchildren is sending a wrong messagel Maybe these people should get a message of a different kind.
George
Always the grumpy old man...

Once again, terrific work!

~tom "Ignorance is not a lack of intelligence - it's a lack of know-how"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts