Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody....
I purchased my house and it has a floor to ceiling brick faced fireplace. I purchased a 150 year old hand hewn log (I'm not sure of the wood but, it's hard!) that was 9' 2" and I trimmed it to 6' 8" with a sawzall just in case of nails which I did find. I didn't have a metal detector. I have enough to make (I guess you would call them gussets) gussets for the mantle to sit on.
This is what I have thought of doing. I wanted to drill 3/4" holes in the fire
place and log. Install high heat epoxy in both the fireplace and log, gussets and install rebar.
Does this sound normal and should I hollow out the back for the weight factor? How many would everyone use? I'm going to post pictures before I start. I will also post pictures when it is complete.
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Holman:smile:

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I guess that would work. I would rather install some wedge or sleeve concrete anchors to seure the corbels (if I read you right you are referring to the plain or decorative corbel that hold up the mantel and are attached to the walls.

You can always plug the hole in the corbels with a plug cutter using the same wood. If you don't want to drill a through hole in the corbels in order to attach them mantel onto them. you could do as you say and epoxy the rebar into othe brosk and into the corbels but I have never used this method and can't vouch for how the heat from the fireplace might effect the long term service of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Texas Timbers
That is a great idea! True about the lilfe expectancy of the epoxy....
I work afternoons so I'm going to do it when my wife is at work and surprise her just before Christmas. I think cutting the plugs out of the extras is a great idea also.
Thanks
Holman

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a wedge ancor bolt a large washer and a piece of 3/4 inch thread rod. I drilled my mantle to match my thread rod and pushed the mantle on the thread rod its tight and will ot fall. My mantle is 3x8x9 ft solid walnut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts