Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large piece of live edge that I am planning to make a bar top with and I need to clean up the surfaces. I had planned on using the router and sled, but was wondering if there was a better tool for the job (it's too large to fit in my planer).

Anyone have any comments/reviews for the hand held electric planers?

·
Premium Member
Amateur at Everything
42 Posts
I purchased a Bosch 1594 years ago and have used it a few times with good results. On the rare chance you live in Toledo, you are welcome to borrow mine. Tom

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,058 Posts
hand-held electric planers need a lot of practice to become proficient with them.
what size is the wood ?
set up correctly, the router sled would give you the best results.

·
where's my table saw?
30,371 Posts
I have a large piece of live edge that I am planning to make a bar top with and I need to clean up the surfaces. I had planned on using the router and sled, but was wondering if there was a better tool for the job (it's too large to fit in my planer).

Anyone have any comments/reviews for the hand held electric planers?
Using a hand power planer is an acquired skill, much like 4" belt sander. To even a slab with any precision I would use the router sled. I did use a power plane on this door build:
Wood Wood stain Floor Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hand-held electric planers need a lot of practice to become proficient with them.
what size is the wood ?
set up correctly, the router sled would give you the best results.
Roughly 5" thick by 18" wide and about 6' long.

Its not going to be a small task no matter how i do it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Router sled will be easiest, unless you know someone with a widebelt. It would be a bit heavy for a jointer but if anyone local has a 20/24+ you would be done in a few minutes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The edge of the hand held electric planner blade can leave edges, I rounded the corners of the blades on mine to prevent that - it works.

·
Registered
Property mgmt
47 Posts
This summer i made a desk for my granddaughter. Started by tacking a level frame to the perimeter, then routed grooves about every 3 or 4” to uniform depth, then hand planed to the bottom of the guide grooves. You can see the grooves at the red arrows. Some of the grooves were more than 1/2” deep.

Wheel Tire Wood Asphalt Automotive tire

Table Furniture Wood Wheel Bicycle
Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Stairs

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
If this slab is not too heavy, I would be tempted to see if there is a shop in town that would do the job for reasonable cost.

gmc

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
I would call cabinet shops in town looking for someone willing to rent time on a wide belt sander. The one near me charges $40 for a half hour with operator. I've never had to pay more than $40. (BTW-It is best to pay in cash.)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies all. I would really like to do this in house, an i guess I'll stick to my original plan of the router and sled.

I'm getting the impression that there aren't many that have much use for the hand held electric planer.

·
where's my table saw?
30,371 Posts
Way back when, portable powered hand planers were used by finish carpenters to bevel the edges of blank doors. Somewhere along the line, a guy may have removed the setup base and used it freehand. That was probably the beginning of their use by DIY'rs?

A good planer can be turned into an accurate surfacing tool with rails aka a sled:

·
Registered
Termite
6,655 Posts
I use them all the time, but use an overhead for what your planing. The cost of a shop sanding or planing that smooth would be worth it to me..

·
Registered
208 Posts
The challenge with power planes is that they are/can be incredibly aggressive and FAST at creating unfixable mistakes, and can be difficult to control. Practice, practice, practice before approaching your expensive slab.

When I use mine, I set it to about the thinnest cut I can get, which is no big deal because it removes material so quickly that you’ll never feel like it’s taking too long to make progress. 😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've used my hand planer to level slabs many a time. It, like my siding sander, is a valued tool, when I need it, and which I've used to those ends too.

On large, flat surfaces, it's not the ideal for that last 1/8" inch, unless you took advantage of those very good tips, above, on building a hand plan sled. For that, I always switched over to the belt sander, but, with that, we're back to the art of manipulating one.

If worse comes to worse, you could hog it down with the plane, then go for the router, before a final pad sanding.

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
No one here ever take woodshop in middle school?
We learned how to glue up and flatten a cutting board with a hand plane
Electric hand plane is no different, rough in heavy, finish with light cuts

I hand electric planed a post and beam addition to my house
Standing tree one day, finished post, beams and rafters a couple weeks later

1 - 20 of 27 Posts