Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Engraver
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wayne sent me this plane a couple of months back to be hand engraved and it's finally finished. Thought you hand tool fans might like to see the finished project. I'm now engraving full time and taking commissions. You can find me at www.cajunhandplanes.com
Hope y'all like the work!
Layne Zuelke
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
That is wrong on so many levels. Level one.. I can't afford it. Level two... I want to be able to afford it. And last but not least.... I still can't afford it.

Amazing is an understatement.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Those are beautiful! I think I'd have to get better at woodworking before I could have one like that, it'd outshine my work otherwise!

Is engraving like that done with hand tools or some sort of jeweler's power tools?

·
Engraver
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All by hand

This is all done by hand. The only difference between what I do now and the way we used to do it is that we use a pneumatic assisted graver. The old method was to drive the graver with a chasing hammer. We now have a tool called the gravermeister that drives a small piston in the graver handle with air. As it oscillates, it taps the graver internally to give the same effect as hammer and chisel, only now with much more control over delicate cuts. The hand still must control the tool with regard to angle of attack and turns. It also make this work much more affordable compared to working with hammer and chisel.

·
7,222 Posts
This is all done by hand. The only difference between what I do now and the way we used to do it is that we use a pneumatic assisted graver. The old method was to drive the graver with a chasing hammer. We now have a tool called the gravermeister that drives a small piston in the graver handle with air. As it oscillates, it taps the graver internally to give the same effect as hammer and chisel, only now with much more control over delicate cuts. The hand still must control the tool with regard to angle of attack and turns. It also make this work much more affordable compared to working with hammer and chisel.
Thank you for the explanation. I am not about to try this out, but I do appreciate knowing how the craft is being done today. :thumbsup:

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
That is so cool it makes me dizzy to look at it!

·
Engraver
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Engraving

Keep in mind guys, I can do an engraving to fit just about any budget. Most of my engravings are very reasonable. This one was just a bit over the top. Glad I had the chance.
Next up is a small bullnose plane from Konrad Sauer. I'll post some pics once it's done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts