Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
They pop up on Craigslist pretty regularly here...I don't see why they'd be any less useful than a brace and bit for woodworkin

·
Registered
825 Posts
As the add states, they are more of a blacksmith tool. I used the one my grandfather had in his shop. His worked pretty well fo drilling steel.

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
I have one on a post in my shop....for decoration only.

It was off the family farm where it was used for drilling metal and repair work. I had some fun with it when I was about 8 yrs old. It is self feeding with a cam action and a gear on the top. They're very cool but not very useful, in my opinion. The chuck is primitive with a threaded bolt to hold the bit. I think the price is reasonable if it works.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. If I had 60 bucks that I didnt know what to do with, I'd buy it. Unfortunately, that cash would be much better spent elsewhere

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
If you're reffering to the old wall-hung variety's(craigslist ad is down).....

Home-boys get them and then very politely(nothing harming historic value) modify them to use as semi-power,semi-auto tapping machines.I did one years ago....they work great.

You mainly just have to replace the drill chuck with a square shank,tap holding chuck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts