Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a small hall table I am in the process of building. I am using Home Depot pine.... (Man, I wish I could have afforded some nice cherry for this, but....). I still need to make a shelf and the top. The top will have bread board ends. I am going to attempt for the first time to make hand cut dovetail drawer. I'll re saw some 3/4 inch pine to 1/2 inch and see what happens...if had to remake the rear legs because I tapered them the wrong way. Anyhow, thought you guys would like to see an amatuer in action. I will post. Some finished photos when it is done....

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
If that same amateur work I can't wait to see what you do when you get better:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Nice work. That's a good looking design. I especially like the bead detail and the arched stretchers.

You have a real nice looking shop for an amateur!

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff Shafer said:
Very nice. What sort of joinery did you use?
I used mortise and tenon...except for the stretchers. For them I used the pocket screws...next time it will be all mortise and tenon.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
sanchez said:
Nice work. That's a good looking design. I especially like the bead detail and the arched stretchers. You have a real nice looking shop for an amateur!
Thanks to the great people on this forum, one of them told me which type of bead bit I was looking for. Still have more work to go, but I am learning as I go...as far as my shop...well it's pretty small 15 x15. I am trying not to overload the shop with larger tools, so I am learning how to do some of the things by hand, such as jointing with a plane and a few other things....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here is a small hall table I am in the process of building. I am using Home Depot pine.... (Man, I wish I could have afforded some nice cherry for this, but....). I still need to make a shelf and the top. The top will have bread board ends. I am going to attempt for the first time to make hand cut dovetail drawer. I'll re saw some 3/4 inch pine to 1/2 inch and see what happens...if had to remake the rear legs because I tapered them the wrong way. Anyhow, thought you guys would like to see an amatuer in action. I will post. Some finished photos when it is done....
Very nicely done! My only comment is if you wanted cherry, you should have sprung for cherry. HD pine is not cheap. I think you could have had cherry from a real lumberyard for less than a fifty dollar upcharge for the pine. Since you are putting a lot of effort into it and the table will last indefinitely, the material cost is not meaningful for a small table. I always use good materials so even though my craftsmanship is not the finest, OK craftsmanship and good materials make a decent result. Next time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very nicely done! My only comment is if you wanted cherry, you should have sprung for cherry. HD pine is not cheap. I think you could have had cherry from a real lumberyard for less than a fifty dollar upcharge for the pine. Since you are putting a lot of effort into it and the table will last indefinitely, the material cost is not meaningful for a small table. I always use good materials so even though my craftsmanship is not the finest, OK craftsmanship and good materials make a decent result. Next time.
Look for wood where you find it,(junk piles castoffs and my favorite: ""the old side of the road." There is all kinds of old gum, popular, oak, beech just waiting for you to repurpose, pick it up! P.S. good job on the table, the more you do the better you get.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts