Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finished the Hall Table for my wife. Not sure about the top - she may yet change it to quartz. The primary wood is clear pine stained with Minwax Jacobean and 2 coats of Varathane semigloss. The accent on the top is unstained hard maple.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the maple accent. I'd like to hear/read more about it. E.G. Veneer vs. wood. If wood, thickness. How difficult was that? I'm asking as I'm entertaining something similar.
Great job by the way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the maple accent. I'd like to hear/read more about it. E.G. Veneer vs. wood. If wood, thickness. How difficult was that? I'm asking as I'm entertaining something similar.
Great job by the way.
Thanks for the interest. It is a Maple strip not veneer. I stained the top first then I cut 1/16" thick strips of a 1x and plowed a 1/16" deep x 3/4" wide channel in the top. For that I used a Porter Cable Laminate Trimmer and 1/2" bit fitted with a MicroFence edge guide. That thing is worth it's weight! The MicroFence made it super easy to sneak up on the exact width. I used a Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw (yes, I still have all my fingers) fitted with a Ridge Carbide RS1000 blade to cut the miters. The strips fit tight in the channels so a bit of glue and a few taps with a mallet to set the strips flush. Then applied the finish. To cut the strips I used a 1990 Craftsman 10" table saw with a Forrest Woodworker II blade. No burning in the Maple and an almost glass finish so no sanding.

Btw this is the first time I've tried this technique and the accent was much easier to install than I thought it would be.

Reactions: woodnthings

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
I like accents and contrasts like you have done. I also like using natural stones on a top.

If your accent stripe was closer to the edge I think you could then inset marble inside for the primary surface on the table. Not sure how it would look with how the maple is now placed.

George

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like accents and contrasts like you have done. I also like using natural stones on a top.

George

I kept this top simple because my wife is/was undecided and I wanted it OUT of my shop. She's thinking a granite or quartz top so Saturday we are going to go looking for a remnant 18" x 42"ish. Hoping I can get it tossed in for free when I buy new counter tops ;-) Looking for a barn beam mantel at Reclaimed Michigan too. 6x8x60-65" I need to get that mounted so I can get the stone up. Which clears the the fireplace material OUT of my shop too. She's learned how to motivate me :vs_laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts