Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Significant other saw a "hutch" made of old boards and a shutter in a restaurant/shop with a hefty price tag on it. Days later she gave me the specs: Pie safe, old barn boards, rustic look, recycled stuff. So, we have an old (circa 1900) barn that had a part of the lean-to on the back come down in a storm, and I had salvaged and stacked the lumber.

Out came the planer, and off we went. Let me tell you, 100 year old pine is HARD! Surprised me with some of the grain patterns though, and the wife is tickled pink. Only parts not "salvaged were the various screws and the plywood back. Made a bunch of shavings too!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the finished product - wife painted the louvered doors. These were salvaged and cut down to size. Guess it turned out ok, she's happy!

Attachments

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
It looks very nice. The wood grain is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
A happy wife makes for a happy husband!

great job

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Good Job :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Something I might be concerned about....lead paint on what you didn't remove if this is getting used in the kitchen

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something I might be concerned about....lead paint on what you didn't remove if this is getting used in the kitchen
Shouldn't be a problem even if it is lead paint, (don't know if that's what's in barn paint). Boards were wire brushed, sanded lightly, then wiped down with mineral spirits. All surfaces got two coats of polyurethane, and the red paint got 3 coats. To boot, shouldn't come in contact with any food anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If lead dust does become a concern, you can wet wipe it down with a TSP (or any high phosphate) detergent to remove it. You can get it at most hardware stores or some powdered dig washing detergents are still high phosphate. The phosphate binds to the lead in the dust. Just want to be sure and wet wipe so you don't stir the dust up in the air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts