Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my last round of processing, I cut some Hackberry into slabs and noticed some spalting and thought---Hmmmm. Well that got the better of me so I cut a round blank. I ended up with a nice bowl-- 9 x 3 inch bowl with lots of interesting patterns, with some worm activity interspersed. Finish is lacquer that I applied as a friction polish.
Big line in the side is a large bark inclusion.

Attachments

·
Senior Something
1,115 Posts
Nie bowl. I like Hackberry too. I was wondering though, how do you stop the march of the bugs if you turn it green? Turned items never get heat treated, do they?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Nice looking piece Doc. At our turning club meeting last week, spalted pieces were the theme. There were a lot of spalted pieces that showed up, one prettier than the next.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Lot of character there. Not sure about the bug question, I have had more than one bowl drying and the grubs were still making saw dust. Just seems to stop, maybe they die, maybe they turn or are turning to beetles.... I figured as the wood dryed they died. My understanding is most grubs cant deal with dry wood.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lot of character there. Not sure about the bug question, I have had more than one bowl drying and the grubs were still making saw dust. Just seems to stop, maybe they die, maybe they turn or are turning to beetles.... I figured as the wood dryed they died. My understanding is most grubs cant deal with dry wood.
H-I haven't had any problems with the worms/grubs after the fact. Have wondered about that too, but no bowls with sawdust piles---yet.
If it arises, likely will use a good plastic bag and mothballs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts