Woodworking Talk banner

guitar project

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick Mosher 
#1 ·
hi guys I have a guitar project in getting ready to finish and need some help. First of all its a basswood top on a mahogany body. I am in the stages of prepping the mahogany with some timbermate grain filler. Is it possible to tint clear timbermate with a red mahogany stain? The plan is to grain fill, stain, sanding sealer, some leveling, and follow with poly. Please correct me if my steps are wrong or if anyone has any advise I am eager to learn

#2 ·
You can tint the timbermate but not with stain. Use a universal tinting color. It is the colorant that paint companies have in their machines to mix paint. If you are going to color the filler I would attempt to color it so it fills the grain and stains the wood in one step. Reason being is it will pretty much set the color and your stain will do little to stain it after the filler is done. The rest of your steps look good to me.

#3 ·
Emailed a representative at the company that makes timbermate. They say if you use the natural color as a grain filler and sand back with 220 you can apply any stain water or oil based. So I believe im going to thin it down, sand back, stain, then seal. Does anyone have a stain recommendation? Im looking for a deep brown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.