Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Joining The Guild of Master Craftsman is now so B****Y expensive I am in two minds whether to renew subscriptions.

Every year my tears run more as I post them the cheque and I need medical assistance when I incorporate the extra payments for my staff as associate members which runs to several thousand pounds a year.

How much is membership over in the US if its cheaper I will join yours as I am sure our customers wouldnt take any notice.

Please advise me before I get too old to pick up a chisel.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
We don't have any woodwork guilds that the average American would know about.

Guilds, Craft acomplishment titles, craftsman groups, craftsman titles, American purchasers just don't value that. They shop by price (unfortunately).
Mid+ and high end shoppers may care about a title, but common folks on down shop by price (or the add they saw on TV).
Americans stopped caring about durability and quality craft about yrs ago.
jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
US Guilds for Carpenters

Its a shame the US does not have any active Guilds for their top Crafts,there must be certain societies that are active but hidden amongst others.

In the UK and parts of Europe the Guilds are very important these date back many hundreds of years some are within the Masons and others and I always regarded the US as having some formidable Guilds and Societies.

One of the most ancient of Guilds comes from the Ship Builders,if you was a Ships Carpenter you where automatically made an Officer in certain eras.

Surrey Carpentry and Developments employ only Master Carpenters to work on their listed buildings and Castle renovations and they have several American and Canadian employees who I believe belong to a Guild,because of their skills in building mainly timber framed buildings they are worth their weight in silver.

Chris.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts