Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alarm clock went off at 0430 and boy was I tired from a long week at work. I actually thought about not going as my two compadres bailed on me, I was looking forward to hanging out with my brother and my good friend Jim who is a sign fabricator, but life gets in the way sometimes.
So with a thermos of coffee and a full tank of gas I head up I-5 for the hour plus drive to Bellingham. What a gorgeous day in the Northwest!
I pull in the parking lot at 6:15 or so and get I line, I guess I'm about 75th and wait...and wait. I would say that by 7:45 there was a line 300 long! 8 o'clock on the nose and the gates open and I started laughing to myself as it reminded me of the Goldrush stampede.
There were three big tents setup and I'm on the hunt for a 15" planer. There were so many machines lined up, band saws, metal working band saws, mills, table saws, drum sander, and planers!
In the midst of all this chaos and guys rushing up to various machines I see a buddy of mine, how cool is that! but no time for idle chit chat.
To make a long story somewhat shorter, I ended up finding my planer:thumbsup: It is a GO453Z 15" 3hp with a spiral cutter head. It has a broken rear caster, and paint flecks coming off, that's it? no broken handles or gears or pully cover all dinged up. I scooped it up for $1,200 after tax. Saved myself a cool $550.
After paying for it and putting my green sold sticker on it, I could stroll around. They must have had a dozen 8" jointers, all in various stages of banged up. Only the most serious of cases still had the tag on them. I would guess that all the good buys were bought in the first 20 minutes.
I tried to go in the tent that had all the small machines and hand tools and such but it was absolutely a crazy place and I feared for my life. It was combat shopping at it's finest and I'm glad I survived.
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Good find- A little far for me but I would love to go to one of their sales.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Great deal on the planer :thumbsup: Sounds like you had a good find.

I live about 35 minutes from the Grizzly store in Springfield MO. I was going to make my first tent sale earlier this month but I backed out based on horror stories I heard. I'm still kicking myself for not going. I'm going next year for sure.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it was crazy, but nothing like soccer moms on black Friday.
Funny you mentioned Mo, as there was a fella that worked for Grizzly and I guess he works the annual tent sale at every location. He said Bellingham was nothing like Mo. He told me the DeWalt tent alone was as big as the smaller tent here! Said there were trucks from Nascar there as well.
Seems kind of strange this event isn't just as large as the others given the fact that it serves the entire west coast. But who knows.

After seeing the kind of prices they offered I will most likely be back again next year.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Unfortunately I was scheduled to paint a barn (yes a barn) that day. I really wanted to go.

Next year for sure. Who knows- Maybe I'll finally have saved the $$$ for that hybrid saw I've been wanting! It'd be nice to link up with other WWT members anyways.

Curtis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts