Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know.....there are countless tablesaw threads here already. I've tried to read all of them. But I respect the opinion of the guys here enough that I still need to bother you with a basic question:
My wife wants to buy me a new tablesaw for Christmas (Yayyyy!). I've done a lot of reading, visited some stores and also examined what is practical for me, strictly a hobbyist.
To make a long story short, my 'shop' is my garage, so I require portability, 110V is more convenient and I've been given a 1K MAX budget. I've really been attracted to the Grizzly 715P BUT after reading the threads here and elsewhere, I'm worried because of the blade alignment issue. I called Grizzly and spoke to a tech guy yesterday and he acknowledged that there were problems with earlier units, but they have since been solved. He assured me that Grizzly will stand behind the saw 100%. The best I can determine is that some saws built in 2011 may still have had the issue, but I can't find anything definite after that.
Simple question, right? Does anyone here know if the blade alignment issue has been solved or not?
Thanks, much!

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you can swing it, consider the 690....I was looking at the 715 as well, but decided to go with the 690 because its a true cabinet saw. I don't have any experience with the 715, it looks like a really nice saw though.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
FWIW, I haven't read any recent threads on the alignment issues that pertained to the G0715P either, though I occasionally still see them pop up for the R4512 and 21833 that have similar designs. The G0715P has solid cast wings and a good fence, so if that saw fits the bill, I don't think I'd let the earlier alignment issues be the primary reason not to buy it. In a worst case scenario, Grizzly's CS is excellent and will take care of you. I'd also give a serious look to the G0713 or G0661.

BTW - Keep the wife! :thumbsup: (and get a good blade for you new saw!)

Please keep us posted!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Have you considered the craftsman 22116? Built along side the steel city models and meets your budget. I couldn't be happier with mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ryan,
I like the Craftsman 22116 a lot, but I have magnetic fixtures that can't be used with the granite. I looked for a similar Craftsman model with Cast iron but no luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that Steel City 35950 looks great. I like the cab-mounted trunions. I'll dig around some on that one.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It's a great saw. Just make sure the one you pick from them has the industrial fence, it's essentially a bisermeyer clone fence.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a 715p which has a dedicated dado set-up. 2 plus years, few hundred hours not a problem. Everything square right out of box. I have never used the tilt and only lower and raise the blade and swap between 2 set-up. Works great for what I do with it. Fence is nice, never had to adjust that either. Maybe I got lucky:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I got one last March and no problems so far. I did a have to align the blade, but it was not too difficult to do. I also went ahead and added a 220 outlet to my garage and I am glad I did.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update:
I discovered that Steel City's corporate offices were 3 miles from my office. I did a lot of Googling and found a listing on CL that claimed to be Steel City Warehouse sales, and they had EXACTLY what I was looking for: A 33990C new, but out of crate for $500.00.
I called early this AM and tried to make an appointment, but couldn't get one for today, tomorrow or Wednesday. I asked for an appointment on Thursday, and was told I'd have to call on Weds. At this point, things began to smell bad to me, so I said I had cash in my pocket, blah, blah blah. It did no good.
I asked my wife to call Grizzly and order the G0715P, with the mobile base. They'll deliver to my 'dayjob' shop before Friday. Then we'll truck it to my home.
Thanks so much to all of you for the help, and I'll keep you posted.
Oh...I thought you might find the CL link interesting. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tls/4212681580.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha! Thanks for asking!
Yes, I got the 715P, but did not finish putting it together yet because we left to go out of town the day after Christmas. It's killing me, but my wife preferred a 'trip' rather than the router table attachment for the saw.
How could I say 'no' after she'd been so nice to me??
I'll be back in my shop tomorrow and this weekend to finish up.
So far, it looks like a great piece of equipment.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Did you know that steel city tools are available through Home Depot online? No cost delivery to you local store and they usually honor sale prices. Also, deferred billing if paid with a HD consumer card. Hope the griz performs as it's supposed to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, with all the extreme cold and snow that we've had, this weekend was the first opportunity I had to play with the new table saw. I took the plunge and added a 220V circuit for the saw rather than run it on 110v.
Now I'm certainly not a woodworker on a level with most of the guys here, so my requirements are probably not what others may have, but I am a machine designer/builder, so I can appreciate the construction of this unit.
I've found it to be quiet, stable and infinitely better than the Ryobi portable I used for years. I checked the blade alignment many times trying to find the blade alignment issue that had me worried initially, but found the blade alignment stable and reliable. The delivery, installation and assembly instructions were about as good as could be expected.
So, I am very satisfied with the purchase, and it seems to be a great saw for the money. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been trying to upload a picture, but not having much luck.
I think it's my server. I'll get it eventually!
Sorry!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts