Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Grizzly table saw circa 1986 *Update*

I've been looking for a used contractor or cabinet saw for a few weeks (just trying to find the right deal). I read the tips on what to look for and the classifications in the sticky threads here and they've been a huge help.

I'm going to look at this saw tomorrow and I'm wondering if there are any specific things I should keep my eye out for with Grizzly saw this age? I know it's a very reliable brand and a 25+ year old saw - if well taken care of, can still have many years left. But any "Grizzly specific things I should look for?

He's asking $400.00, but I think I can get him down to $300.00-$325.00

Here are a couple of pics:

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, all good to know! I thought Grizzly had a better reputation than that. I'm also headed out to look at a Powermatic later nine afternoon, I don't know much about this saw, I've only seen one pic. and it hard to tell too much about it from that. He's asking $950.00, which again seems a bit high, i think $700.00-$750.00 is right if its in really nice shape. It also 220v so I have to figure the added cost of converting/adding another circuit to my shop.

Here's what the owner says about it:

"The saw is about 15 years old and I have used it intermittently as a
hobbiest. It is a 220V, single phase, 3 HP motor. I have not had the cabinet
saw station assembled recently, so the pictures will be of the cabinet saw
itself. I can pull the other components off the shelftonight*to photograph,
if you're interested. The saw and it's parts have been well cared for and I
silicon-spray the table surface and cover it with a moving blanket to keep
it protected. It's a good saw."

I have attached the picture I took this morning which I hope is helpful. It
was a little hard to get to in the garage!*

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I guess this is not the right saw :) I see quite a few Delta Unisaws available, but they seem like SOOO much saw. My shop is not that big and I'm afraid the constant moving around of the saw would screw it up.

I'm obviously a newb when it comes "real" saws. I've been working on a Ridgid TS2400 for 8 or 9 years and while it's a fine jobsite saw, it leaves a lot to be desired for some of the finer work. Not to mention that the blade drops 1/16" with every pass over a data bade! Maybe I should consider a Unisaw, they seem to be easy to get parts for should the need arise and and it's certainly more power than I'll ever need.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More proof of how much I don't know!

I saw all of those adds and other than the DeWalt I didn't recognize any of them as even decent saws, I couldn't tell you why, I just didn't. Turns out the saws I was supposed to look at tonight both cancelled anyway so I'll inquire about about about those tomorrow. But just as I'm diving into "research table saw mode" my family and I leave for Europe for 3 weeks. If one of these saws works out to pick up this weekend that'll be great, but I may have to put it on hold for a while.

Again, thanks everyone for all the tips and advice!

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That fence was offered on the Emerson saws at the tail end of their craftsman run. Most ridgids also came with it.
It looks a lot like the fence on my Ridgid 2400 which is horrible! Maybe they've been redesigned, but mine is off nearly 3/16" from front to back consistently. It's the whole reason I'm looking for a new saw.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
QUOTE=gideon;504752]the newer fences are great on the ridgids. love the one on my folding saw.[/QUOTE]

That good to know! I couldn't get over to look at/pick up the Craftsman or the DeWalt - just too much to do before vacation and I'm sure they'll be gone when I get back. But in the lat week my air compressor crapped the bed and I picked up a big enough job to justify a planer and a joiner (woohoo!). But with the budget only slightly increasing, I'm going to go with a solid contractors saw and upgrade it in the future.

Thanks again for all your help guys, it's been invaluable info.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So I went with a new Rigid 4512.

I've got a friend who is an assistant mgr. at a local HD and he gave me "discount" - he matched a non existent Harbor Freight coupon for $50.00 :) So for just over $500.00 I went with the new saw with w/warrantee and support over a used one. I kept getting nervous that the used saws I was looking at had been worn out or misused and I don't have the experience to tell for sure.

The 4512 is plenty of saw for what I'm doing and if I need to I can always upgrade. I like that can add cast iron wings and there is room for a drop in router table (I don't have room for a full a dedicated RT).

So thanks to everyone for the knowledge and tips, it made my decision much easier.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
where are you located?

...check it's blade to miter slot alignment with the blade @ 1" elevation and then at 3" elevation. some saws seem to vary their miter slot alignment as the blade's elevation changes. not a good thing ...
I'm just outside of Boston, I'm surprised there is a difference in price at all, let alone only being 300 miles apart. This may be the first time ANYTHING has been cheaper in NY :)

The miter issue does kind of concern me, but I'm not sure I even know exactly what you mean. How would I check it? I've just checked a bunch of measurements with my square and I'm not finding any noticeable differences at any height.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.