Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,302 Posts
$400 for a steel pipe fenced contractor is a bit steep, IMHO. 1 hp dual voltage motor is nice if a bit light on power. lack of a splitter/blade guard assembly would be a problem as it wouldn't be $10 to replace. $200-300 (tops) is my best guess.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
....... He's asking $950.00, which again seems a bit high, i think $700.00-$750.00 is right if its in really nice shape.......
looks like a powermatic. left tilt but a splitter/blade guard assembly; no riving knife. if it's got a t-square fence, and is complete, $900 would be a good price IMHO. less if it's old enough to have round pipe guide rails for the fence system. also, lack of components (miter gauge, splitter/blade guard) are good points to haggle over.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
That fence was offered on the Emerson saws at the tail end of their craftsman run. Most ridgids also came with it.
i have the same fence on my gray ridgid ts2412. holds it's settings and is rock solid once adjusted properly and locked down.

i would go with a new ridgid 4512. thats what i'm upgrading to when i get into my new house.

its $549 i think and has some great features like switching to 220, 36" wide extension, an aftermarket drop in for use with a router, great fence too.
the 4512 is a nice saw, as long as a unit without the "blade/miter slot alignment changing with blade elevation issue" is located. and what is "an aftermarket drop in for use with a router" ?

It looks a lot like the fence on my Ridgid 2400 which is horrible! Maybe they've been redesigned, but mine is off nearly 3/16" from front to back consistently. It's the whole reason I'm looking for a new saw.
the 2400 is a job site saw and it's fence system is different from the one of the linked c-man.

I had a Craftsman contractor saw from the 80's that had a crappy fence. I picked up a Vega for a couple of hundred, and it's been great.

That Powermatic should be a really good saw. Looks like a 66. If I were closer I would jump on it!
the less than optimal fence system on older c-man 113s is quite different from the one on the c-man KS linked. the fence on the linked c-man, although not a t square like a bies or a delta t2, is nonetheless a first rate and eminently usable fence.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Screw;512327...I've got a friend who is an assistant mgr. at a local HD and he gave me "discount" - he matched a non existent Harbor Freight coupon for $50.00 :) So for just over $500.00 I went with the new saw with w/warrantee and support over a used one........ [/QUOTE said:
wow, the list price for the 4512 in my market is $500 @ HD. applying a 20% HF coupon gets the pre tax price to $400. what's the 4512's list price in your market?

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Its 529.00 here (and on the website)
boy, that stinks. here in the NYC metro area, it's still $499, or $400 after a HF 20% coupon. where are you located? i guess saving a little over 5% is better than saving nothing at all.

while i personally like the 4512, the first thing i'd do is check it's blade to miter slot alignment with the blade @ 1" elevation and then at 3" elevation. some saws seem to vary their miter slot alignment as the blade's elevation changes. not a good thing and, from many reports, there's no field remedy. if yours has that condition, return it for another one. once one is located without that issue, it is reportedly a good TS offering a lot of value.

congrats on the buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.