Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
(clever wood pun here)
984 Posts
I also have no first hand experience, but have heard good things as well. I even looked at that table for myself a year ago, but ended up building one as an extension for my table saw.
If I hadn't built my router table onto my saw, I would have purchased this one. You simply couldn't build one this nice or buy anything better for this price (stand, router plate, hardware, fence, etc.).

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would guess the plate is a polymer of some sort instead of aluminum which would be the only drawback, but keeps the price down. IMO a good table to cut your routing teeth on that you could modify/upgrade later if your skills take you in that direction.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the table but I have heard good things about the table...and it is fairly priced also.

Same here. I have looked at this table several times at the local Grizzly store. It was about $99 or so not too long ago and I almost bought one & wish I would have.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hey, I am sure this has been covered. What do you all think of this table? I am a weekend woodworker and mostly do small furniture and gifts, boxes, etc. Whaddaya think??

V=http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Table-with-Stand/T10432

Thanks.
IMO about the best deal going for router tables at the moment.:thumbsup: Virtually identical to one MLCS is selling for $180 without the stand. Polycarbonate plate isn't necessarily a drawback. The cheaper aluminum plates have a thinner anodizing layer which can wear off and leave black marks on your project. Almost impossible to sand out. :thumbdown:

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, So I got this table, and am happy with the table, fence and stand. I just got around to mounting the router, but the insert sags with just my little Ryobi 8.5 amp router in it. The dip is very noticeable. It is phenolic? I would rather not have to buy a new insert.

I am wondering if I can give the insert more integrity by screwing or gluing supports on the bottom. I am thinking just some square aluminum stock.

Have any of you tried this, or do you have any input?

Thanks, Sean

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
SeanStuart said:
Hey, So I got this table, and am happy with the table, fence and stand. I just got around to mounting the router, but the insert sags with just my little Ryobi 8.5 amp router in it. The dip is very noticeable. It is phenolic? I would rather not have to buy a new insert. I am wondering if I can give the insert more integrity by screwing or gluing supports on the bottom. I am thinking just some square aluminum stock. Have any of you tried this, or do you have any input? Thanks, Sean
I have the same issue with my insert, but I haven't addressed it with Grizzly. And I'm just using a PC 890 2.25 hp unit. I need to bring it up my next visit to Grizzly.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hey, So I got this table, and am happy with the table, fence and stand. I just got around to mounting the router, but the insert sags with just my little Ryobi 8.5 amp router in it. The dip is very noticeable. It is phenolic? I would rather not have to buy a new insert.

I am wondering if I can give the insert more integrity by screwing or gluing supports on the bottom. I am thinking just some square aluminum stock.

Thanks, Sean
Hi Sean - I wouldn't think an 8 amp Ryobi should cause a noticeable sag. Maybe a defective plate??? Did you check the plate for flatness before installing the router??:blink:

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Sean - I wouldn't think an 8 amp Ryobi should cause a noticeable sag. Maybe a defective plate??? Did you check the plate for flatness before installing the router??:blink:
I just eyeballed it before mounting the router. But when I support the router from the bottom, with just a finger or two it flattens out. I can flex it fairly easily.

I was just thinking it was an inexpensive table, and that is where they saved money. I guess I will call Grizzly before doing anything else though. They might have heard about it a few times.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I just eyeballed it before mounting the router. But when I support the router from the bottom, with just a finger or two it flattens out. I can flex it fairly easily.

I was just thinking it was an inexpensive table, and that is where they saved money. I guess I will call Grizzly before doing anything else though. They might have heard about it a few times.
If that's the case, I don't see why a couple of support cleats wouldn't work but I'd still make the call to Grizzly. I know some guys are ordering that plate to make jigs with. :smile:

·
Papa Red
1,170 Posts

Thanks, Sean
I've got the same router table. It is great except for the insert. You need to replace it with an aluminum one and it will then be fantastic!

Red

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
red said:
I've got the same router table. It is great except for the insert. You need to replace it with an aluminum one and it will then be fantastic! Red
If you bought one that fit, would you tell me which one you got and where you got it?

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I am also looking at buying this table soon but don't want it to sag. I would like to know what insert works and if it is already pre drilled for a Craftsman router?
Below is the aluminum router table insert I purchased. I am very happy with it; however, it has only seen limited use so far. I am VERY confident that it will hold up much better than the original insert which came with the Grizzly table.

http://www.routertabledepot.com/aluminuminsert.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just put this together last weekend and mounted an old 1 HP Craftsman fixed base router I had. The insert is phenolic and pretty rigid. I didn't notice any deflection at all but the router I'm using is pretty light. The plate is not predrilled. It does have rings on the back side that makes the alignment easier.

All in all I'm very satisfied with it as the price point for a table with a mounting plate is less expensive than some plates alone!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.