Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Grizzly 2hp lathe that I bought new at the end of last year. When I install the centers in the headstock and tailstock and push the tailstock in so that the points almost touch, the headstock sits about .030" higher than the tailstock. I wanted to get an accurate dimension for warranty purposes so I borrowed a digital height gauge from work. I installed my jacobs chuck into the HS #2 MT and chucked up a dowel pin. I measured from the lathe bed to the top edge of the dowel and subtracted half the diameter of the dowel to get the centerline dimension. I did the same with the TS and they measured only .007" difference. Since the jacobs chuck is much longer than my centers I thought maybe one end was at a slight angle. So I used the jacobs chuck again and chucked up a long dowel pin and used my angle cube to check for any angularity in relation to the lathe bed. They were both dead on parallel.

Could the variation in height that I am seeing be due to inaccuracies in my centers? I have two sets and both reveal the same offset. What else could possibly be wrong?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Are you pushing the tail stock right up to the head stock or atelier you locking it down short and advancing the quill?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sawdustfactory said:
Are you pushing the tail stock right up to the head stock or atelier you locking it down short and advancing the quill?
The quill is fully retracted. I moved the entire tailstock.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The quill is fully retracted. I moved the entire tailstock.

Ken - on my tailstock, when I retract the quill fully it starts to auto-eject whatever is installed in the morse taper.

Could this be happening to you? Perhaps try extending the quill a half inch or so and see if the center will seat fully and give a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Stop the tail stock a few inches from the headstock and extend the quill to meet and check again.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tailstock also ejects the center when you fully retract it but that is not what is happening here. The center was fully seated in the MT.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Try repeating your measurements three times - and rotate the chuck 120* each time, see if the readings coincide.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Do you notice this difference in heights affecting your turnings? And I'd still recheck with the quill extended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts