Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys that bought a Grizzly G0715P, how was the miter slot to blade alignment out of the box ??

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
You guys that bought a Grizzly G0715P, how was the miter slot to blade alignment out of the box ??

If memery serves me correct, out of the box, alignment was something like .004. Thats basically nothing. I was able to adust to within .001.

Heres an issue that I and others have had with this saw. Read it all and pay close attention specifically to what the Tech told me. Im not saying not to buy it, Im just saying to read this and know what your buying before you do.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/grizzly-g0715p-trouble-36396/

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanx BassBlaster....

I'm struggling with the choice of this saw or a G1023RL for $500 more... I like the 1023 design that allows table to blade adjustment from the outside of the cabinet, but is it worth the higher price for a hobbyist ?? (Rhetorical)

I have an old Craftsman 113.298032 that was spot on out of the box, and has remained that way over the years.... It's 1 horsepower, and struggles ripping 8/4 rough red oak.... I'd like more power... And, to be honest, I'd really like a new saw... There seems to be chronic problems with tools coming from China.....And they're not cheap...

Unrelated rant... I'm a retired purchasing agent for a large Japanese manufacturer.... I finally quit buying metal fabricated parts from China because of poor quality steel.....

But, since most saws come from there, I guess it's a game of Russian roulette whether we get a good machine, or not.. What to do...... What to do..... I'm in Georgia, 800 miles from a Grizzly facility..... So I'd be buying this sight unseen....

Hey, Grizzly, how about a site in the Southeast ????.....Just a showroom, and someone to talk to, would be enough....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
.....I have an old Craftsman 113.298032 that was spot on out of the box, and has remained that way over the years......
i'd suggest checking the blade. my 1 hp 70s vintage c-man rips 8/4 oak without incident or burning, provided it's aligned properly and i use a 24T blade with an aggressive hook angle. using a 40T combo blade wouldn't get the job done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For what its worth, I'm not event a hobbyist yet and I purchased the G1023. I started doing a little woodworking on a workbench and caught the bug. I wanted to do more and wanted a table saw. I looked all over and decided on a few in the $500 range. The more I read about them the more I read they lacked some accuracy or adjust ability. I then stepped up to the $700. Nice but it all came back to accuracy. After reading a lot of reviews and some bad customer service from another company; I chose the G1023. I had to save for a while more to get what I wanted. It was a big ol' slap in the face when I received it Thursday and found out I couldn't even use it. I can say that it is a great looking machine, minus all the touch up paint. There was some fitment problems too. The blade was dead on though. now it's just a waiting game for me.

Buying site unseen was a problem for me as well, but I took the chance. I even asked the customer service person if they check the saws before they go out and she assured me they did. I'm going to say its a gamble either way.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toolguy1000 said:
i'd suggest checking the blade. my 1 hp 70s vintage c-man rips 8/4 oak without incident or burning, provided it's aligned properly and i use a 24T blade with an aggressive hook angle. using a 40T combo blade wouldn't get the job done.
Good point... I am using a 40 tooth....

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Id definately be stepping up to the 1023. Thats a well regarded saw. Its the saw that will be in my shop in the future.

I could be wrong but I thought most of Grizzlys large tools came from Taiwan, not China.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Id definately be stepping up to the 1023. Thats a well regarded saw. Its the saw that will be in my shop in the future.

I could be wrong but I thought most of Grizzlys large tools came from Taiwan, not China.
It depends on the model. AFAIK, the G1023RL comes from Taiwan, the G0690 comes from China, as do most of the newer Polar Bear series like the G0715P.

As far as which to get....it's always a personal decision. Do you have 220v? (required for > 2hp) How much of a dent does an extra $500 make in your budget? For a hobbyist, there's no dire need to have a 3hp cabinet saw, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy owning one, or that it wouldn't be a good purchase for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you have 220v? (required for > 2hp) How much of a dent does an extra $500 make in your budget? For a hobbyist, there's no dire need to have a 3hp cabinet saw, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy owning one, or that it wouldn't be a good purchase for you.
Enjoyment is 60% or more of the reason for me so far, it makes the heart so glad - your comment got a grin out of me :smile:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
knotscott said:
It depends on the model. AFAIK, the G1023RL comes from Taiwan, the G0690 comes from China, as do most of the newer Polar Bear series like the G0715P. As far as which to get....it's always a personal decision. Do you have 220v? (required for > 2hp) How much of a dent does an extra $500 make in your budget? For a hobbyist, there's no dire need to have a 3hp cabinet saw, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy owning one, or that it wouldn't be a good purchase for you.
I have 220, but would need to run an additional dedicated circuit.....No problem....
As far as spending the extra $500 for a G1023RL, I'm willing to do that...
I saw some videos today of setting the blade/miter slot on the G0715P...
Looks like a hassle....

At 70 years old this is the last saw I will buy.... I want it to be the right one....

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd for an additional point of thought......try looking at the steel city saws......

Keep in mind the wrong boxes are highlighted on the dado capacity.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Good point... I am using a 40 tooth....

yeah, i can see why you want a cabinet saw. why spend $30-40 for the right type of blade for the task at hand when one can spend $1400 for a whole new saw instead. :icon_confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toolguy1000 said:
yeah, i can see why you want a cabinet saw. why spend $30-40 for the right type of blade for the task at hand when one can spend $1400 for a whole new saw instead. :icon_confused:

Well, there are factors, other than blade selection, with my old saw.... All I wanted was some comments from guys that have the saws I mentioned....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Oakwerks;524404.... I want it to be the right one....[/QUOTE said:
any of the saws mentioned previously will perform well if set up properly and equipped with a blade that's appropriate to the intended task.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts